does your kid talk as much as mine?

It seems like i never get more that 7 seconds of quiet in my house. my 5 year old is constantly talking and its driving me crazy i feel like he is narrating every single thing he does or thinks! if he isnt talking (saying actual words) he is making some other noise. i just want some quiet. I feel like i am about to snap, i dont like being short with him but i cant help it. does anyone else feel this way? if so what do you do about it?

ariel1

Asked by ariel1 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a 14 y/o son...he has talked like that since 7 months old. He has yet to stop. Good luck...I have no good answer or way to stop it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• haha, sorry mom but I was a mouth too and never stopped talking.. it drove my parents nuts. They even tried to pay me to be quiet.. It didn't work. I couldn't hush up for longer than a few seconds.. I am now getting the pay back. My middle DD is the same way and yes it is very frustrating.. Just smile and keep going. Keep your ears open tho, cause they do say some things important in all that talking LOL...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My son is that way...always saying something and if he is not directly talking to someone in this household he is talking out loud like he will count to 100 out loud and then go and try to count backwards and then he constantly talks about the toys he wants and then he talks about the kids at school....also he does not sit still even at school he rocks the chair back and forth when the teacher is talking or it is snack time.. he has this motor that does not stop! he even has told me how it is hard for him to fall asleep
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 8:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yes, my son is like that too (he's also 5yo). the irony is that his kindergarten teacher says he never talks in class! i also have a 2yo son and a 1yo daughter, so most of the time i tell him to go play with them and he likes to make them repeat words/sounds back to him (like they're a parrot lmao). actually he really helps develop their speech by doing that. no adult would have that kind of patience lol and they all think it's a great game. if you don't have any other kids then sorry....i don't have any suggestions besides maybe turn it into rhyme time (you say a word and he makes the rhyme, vice versa)

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oh Yeah!! My son had a severe speech delay, now he is almost 8 and I tease all the time that I want my money back from all that therapy! He will even talk in his sleep. In kindergarten, he talked so much his teacher decided to use it. She put him at a table with kids who spoke very little English! LOL!! By the end of the year, those kids were doing better than some of their English speaking classmates!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Its a kids thing! lol
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes my 7 year old talks A LOT. He uses very descriptive words. I just hug him and tell him that mommy needs some quiet time and if he can help mommy out. He loves to help so he's good with that :-)
    mz_erica03

Answer by mz_erica03 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My dd was carrying on adult conversations at 1 yr. old and has not stopped talking since! She'll be 7 next month. I have this super ability to just block it out now! Lol!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son is 5 also. He hasn't stopped talking since he started talking. Their are times I have to tell him that he has to be quiet so mommy can talk. I can't get a word in most of the time. I have no clue how to get him to stop talking but I normally hang on every word he speaks. He was almost completely deaf with little hope of ever speaking normal. So him speaking is like angels singing to me. Although some times I wish he would speak a little softer. lol
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 12:01 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• I have a 8 year old son and he talks non-stop I get relief when he goes to sleep enjoy it!!!
    sammy1979

Answer by sammy1979 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2010