Parenting Debate

A mother had a car accident and it killed her baby. She unbuckled her seatbelt to buckle her child in who had just unbuckled herself. She lost control she is still in the hospital where I work. The child which is 3 is dead and she has a 5 yr old at home. What can I say to comfort her she is really upset about what the newspaper said, which just said she was speeding and they were wearing no restraints.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• She feels guilt no matter what the papers say. She is probably going over and over in her head how she could of done things differently. Nothing you say is going to releave that guilt. She needs to concentrate on the child she has at home and not make this tradegy worse than it is already. If she belongs to a church perhaps you can have a priest visit or see if there is a grief counseling group she can attend. Only someone who has lost a child will understand her pain.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 12:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There's not much you can. She's gonna live with the pain for a long time. Tell her to focus on the one at home and not to read any more papers.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 8:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Just be there for her. How incredibly sad.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I don't think there is anything to say. Let your heart break with hers.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 10:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• she's going to need someone to talk to professionally. I'd just listen rather than say anything.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• That's terrible.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• my prayers go out to all. awe just be her ears that guilt feeling she has can only be taking away by her and god just remind her that she has a daughter home that loves her and need her and the hospital should not release her until she has spoken and vented so she can start her healing process
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 2:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There's really not a whole lot you can do or say. =(
    Was she speeding? If it were me, I'd have pulled the car over immediately to re-buckle the child.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I found my boyfriend dead at home i have for almost a year now still felt guilt over not being there to help him and a child plus how it happened is going to be so much worse for her Just do not say it was meant to be I HATED THAT just let her talk or just sit with her let her know you care.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't think there is anything you can say to help her. Just be there for her. Offer to help in anyway possible either in her home, food-wise, anything you can offer. She will carry the guilt with her for the rest of her life most likely.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2010