With money tight would you buy candles?

Someone wants to start a business from home. She wants to sell candles. Do you think she can succeed?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 8:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• If she works real hard and has all the tools and training at her disposal and isn't afraid to go talk to anyone...sure.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 8:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Eh...I'll buy them from my SIL because I LOVE the line she sells, but in general...no.
    Anonymous

• Me, YES! I love candles and will never stop buying them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I sell candles and have been doing great. My business has grow each year since I started. You just have to work hard.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I sell candles and the same as how_reb my business grows every year. If she believes in herself and works hard she will do great.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I never pay more for something I know I can get a lot cheaper elsewhere or make myself. Most of the direct selling candle companies cost WAY too much. I'm not paying $20+ for a jar candle when I can get a similiar candle, with the same quality at the craft store for $3-$4.

And well, in all honesty saying "if she works hard she will do great" isn't true at all. In direct sales there is NO guarantee, she can work hard and still get very few orders, she could put lots of money and time into any business and not reap the rewards. It's a gamble. And 80% of people who join a direct selling company quit within the first year because they end up owing more than they make and can't stay afloat, even with PLENTY of hard work
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No, unless it was someone I knew and I went to a party which Occasionally I do.
    When I can got o a TJ MAxx or Marshalls or someting and get them like 50% or more off, I agree with Mom2Jack04....That is an item I can live without and its not something I would use so often I would be a repeat cusotmer.

I hear from more and more friends who are involved with Mia Bella, And Partylite, and Gold Canyon that they are hurting...

Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't buy candles even when the economy is good.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I personally prefer Scentsy...it's flameless candles. Not only is it safer for the kids and the home...it's safer for the environment! The warmers also serve as a lamp/nightlight!

https://my2scents.scentsy.us
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 1:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Probably not

Answer by rkoloms at 9:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2010