tweens

My daughter did her best to not miss any school last year, well she had to miss 2 hrs to go to a dentist. They awarded money and because she missed those 2 hours they took 30 dollars away, she got 20. I think this is so unfair and she doesnt even care if she does it anymore after all she was cheated in my opinion. What do you think?

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Wow - seems a bit backward doesn't it? Talk to the teacher/school? Maybe discuss a better plan. She worked so hard to get to that point and they take more than 1/2 away just for those 2 hours? I am sure there will be some who argue that she shouldn't get such a reward for being in school every day cuz that's what she's supposed to do, but I say if they have incentive to be there and do well, it usually works. Even in the real world we are rewarded with good attendance - it is called a paycheck! It might be a good idea to come up with a better alternative and present it to the teacher before you just go in and complain (as much as you probably REALLY want to do that right now!). That might go a long way in helping them understand how frustrating this is for a kid who has worked so hard and had to leave for something that was beyond her control.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Why are they awarding money for attendance? Does your school have extra money left over or something? How would your daughter feel if the only reason she missed school was to attend a grandparent's funeral in another state? Realistically what kind of message does cash for attendance send? Now if they want to do it right they will not penalize anybody for any reasonable absence. Our school dropped all attendance awards in favor of a stay home if you are sick-we don't want your germs campaign. Seems like a much more reasonable approach to me.  And to the person above me who claims that in the real world you get a paycheck - what about maternity leave? what about paid vacations? Shall we get rid of those?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010