how to weed out the "baby toys"

i'm looking to clean out sons toys. hes to that age now where most the toys in the toy box are either the same ones hes had since he was born or the ones he has gotten from happy meals.
but how do i tell if he just to old for them. and how to i put them up for the new baby with out him getting up set. i mean he doesn't play with them but he will still be up set that i take them from him and give them to the new baby? and how do i get him to either help me put up the old toys even if i dont give them to the new baby (if its a girl) with out throwing a fit?

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 8:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would go through the toys when my children was with there grandparents and put them into the attic until needed again.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• When he's asleep, take the toys he's outgrown or doesn't pay with and put them in a box and away where he won't see them. When the new baby comes, introduce them then, and say that now he's a big boy and doesn't need baby toys. Or that he needs to share with the baby.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I personally don't like toy boxes for that reason...all their toys just get stored in there, and most of them end up on the bottom.. My suggest is too get ride of the toy box and get nice bins and sort the toys out. See what he is really attracted too and plays with alot. The other toys that are just laying around/unplayed with, get rid of them. I promise you he won't even miss them. Just don't let him she you taken them away. Good Luck!!
    forever2215

Answer by forever2215 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Well, the baby won't play with toys for a few months at least, and slowly they will learn to share (slowly), so I don't know that you really need to designate toys as his and the babies. Weed out what he doesn't play with now to get rid of the clutter, and when the baby comes he WILL want to play with them again, but that is ok- the little ones learn a lot from watching older siblings. And, he will play with them in a different way than the baby. As a mom of 2 little ones, believe me- all the toys are in one big pile and trying to keep toys separated for each kid is basically impossible.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would take the "Happy Meal" toys that he doesn't play with and sneak them out while he's sleeping and just ditch them. As for the ones you want to keep, I'd just let him have them and when new baby is old enough to play with them, it's an excellent way to teach sharing. If there are too many, give some to Goodwill (again get them away while he's sleeping) or have a yard sale.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• that's the thing i'm a military wife i cant just send him to my moms down the street i am 5 states away from him and he has a HELL of a memory. we tried to give some toys to a younger friend once and when we went back over there to see them he went to the toy box and pulled all his toys he hadn't seen in months out and wanted to take them home.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Do it while he is not around. And dont mention it, if he picks up on it, just tell him this is sharing, and it's what we do.. maybe that would work..
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 12:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010