How do you purchase Christmas gifts for someone when they don't use them?

The background story for this question....My husband's family is hard to stop for but they love taking pictures. They have some of the best digital cameras that money can buy. So instead of getting something for the camera last year for Christmas I bought them some digital picture frames so they can store several pictures on them and show around. I even past a bit of time uploading pictures and making sure that they were all facing the correct direction on the frame. The thing is they had it out on Christmas and then packed it away and it has never been out since.
What do you buy for someone that does that? I want them to actually use what I bought or buy for them. Should I just kinda tone it down and just purchase cheap useless things that just collect dust? For the past 6 Christmas's nothing that the kids buy for the folks get used, only once and then it gets put away.

OliviaW.

Asked by OliviaW. at 9:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds like my mother. She never uses what she gets for gifts. It gets packed away or its for show. Maybe you should bake them cookies or something like that. They can enjoy that .
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Send them something from a place like figis. They have different cookies, cakes, sausages, and candies in tins or gift packaging.

http://www.figis.com/?sid=PS%3AGoog%3Afigis&campaign=ffps10br456&source=0343814
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 9:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I know a lot of people don't like to give gift cards but that's what I do for the people that I have absolutely no clue what to buy them. Amazon.com is a good place because you can buy pretty much anything on there and a lot of times for a lot cheaper. If you don't want to do the giftcard thing I honestly wouldn't spend much money on them or you could ask them or their spouses for ideas.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'd say go with something consumable like cookies, or a cocoa gift basket or something like that. That stuff doesn't get put away cause it'll get eaten!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• My inlaws have everything they could ever want. Last year I gave them a year worth of dinners for Christmas. Two meals a month, home cooked meals made by me. They Loved it. I also gave them a batch of cookies a month. I made up a whole little menu and they could order what they want. Every month on the 15th I give them two frozen meals to eat when they like.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I guess it is the thought that counts. Hmmm. How about do a gift exchange draw names so you don't have to buy for every one.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• For years I tried to get my MIL the perfect gift and she never liked or used anything I ever bought her. She would ask for something I would get it and she still wouldn't use it, so she gets gift cards now. I can't waste my time searching and trying to please someone that will never be pleased. Get your inlaws a gift card for a photo place and maybe a box of candy or some other parishable item to go with it and be done. Good luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It is so hard to buy for people - what about a gift certificate to a nice local restaurant?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 9:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would do gift cards but they live in the country and us the city. We have completely different stores here than what they do.
    OliviaW.

Comment by OliviaW. (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• i no longer buy gifts for my in -laws i will make them ,1yr everyone got afgans next yr i baked home bread,pies,cookies and cakes,squares,this yr i have no idea what to make the reason i don't but them a gift ,we no money my hubby just lost his job no enough to buy any one a gift i made a basket of goodies for when take a bath ,found out my mil gave to her daughter this hurt so much after that i will not ever buy other gift for any of them
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010