Is it appropriate?

We're expecting a baby soon and friends and family want to get us a gifts, they ask us what do we need or want, is it ok to say money-to family...or both even?? Because we've got pretty much everything we need already..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think that is perfectly ok. You can send a note to everyone telling them that you are not quite sure what you need and that "in lue of gifts, gift cards or money would be greatly appreciated".
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'd say yes, to family and close friends. I wouldn't just say "money", but I would say "well, we've pretty much got everything that we need for right now, but money would be nice so that we could buy things the baby will need later on." You could also ask for gift cards, if you know of a specific place that you shop often, like Wal Mart or Target. Congrats on the new lil one! : )
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• That's when the ever popular gift cards come in handy. You can spend it on what you need at the store and they don't feel odd about handing over cash!
    DanaLamborn

Answer by DanaLamborn at 10:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Gift cards are great, and if you're using disposables, you will ALWAYS need those in a variety of sizes! Also, larger sized clothes are great. But with close friends and family, there's nothing wrong with saying that money would be the most useful. Giving them other options if they're not comfortable with it is nice though.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:11 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I would just say gift cards....that way you can get what you want....but they bought it KWIM? that way if you need diapers, wipes, butt cream...etc and your running low on cash but you have those handy dandy gift cards...the money wouldn't be wasted.
    If someone said to me that they wanted money....I wouldn't do it...i would get them a gift card BECAUSE it's with the intended use for the baby....and I would want the money spent on the baby. Even to help out with groceries is fine....because it would help the family in some way.
    Anonymous

• i would say gift cards.. and not baby ones like the kind from your bank or something just seems better then hey i need some cash
    Anonymous

• Yeah I would say gift cards are ok to ask for. I wish I had. I ended up with a crap ton of clothes and nothing else. That was no help for us. lol The best gift we got was a gift cert. for Wal Mart. I also had my shower after the baby was born and was surprised that I needed things like laundry soap and dish soap. You don't realize how much you'll go through! lol
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 10:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I'd probably ask for gift cards too rather than just $$$
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:09 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• i would go with gift cards and a list of stores you like to shop at dont forget grocery stores (formula) and gas cards (all those well baby visits) AND if you get a gift card fro somewher you dont like you can sell it on EBAY i see seriously dumb people on ebay bid on gift cards for MORE than the value on the card. Its nuts.I would also mention that you have pretty much everything you need. OH and you can also ask for diapers and wipes because you can never have enough of those (again if you get an excess you can sell on ebay)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:42 AM on Nov. 2, 2008