my 5 year old lies...

I have a lying 5 year old boy. He lies about everything, I mean like for no reason at all. Example: yesterday he had red marker all over his hand and i asked why he did it he said "daddy did it." Today my MIL was burning something outside and he came in and told me and I didnt say anything about it so later my husband came in and said his mom told him that our son told her "mommy said shes gonna beat your butt for burning out here." He does this all the time now. I have three teens and they never did this so im not sure just how to handle this kid. Any advice?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 9:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Mine lies too, and the only think I've found that works for me (and thank god it's the holiday season too) is that I told her every time she lies, Santa takes away a Christmas present. She's already down one present, and she did NOT like that one bit. My way of going about it might be silly or stupid for some, but hey, it's what works for me.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oy, i dont know. My 4 year old has already started lying to try to get out of being in trouble.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 9:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oh I have a big fat liar at home as well, I always start with Is this the truth or REAL,,, I appreciate you can make up stories, but if it is NOT real then you wil have some punishment...usually the response he gives me is right,, lets hope they grow up to be famous writers or actors,,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I got my 5 year old a digital hand recorder ($20) and told her to tell her stories into it.
    I think it's what is motivating them. My daughter is a story teller, some kids just want to see what they can get away with, for others its just fun. At this age they don't have a clear understanding of what a lie is. My daughter told her teacher that she was walking in the woods, she found a hole in the ground and seconds later a gas line blew up! She was 5!! I explained that it was ok to tell stories, but you have to tell people that they are stories and not real. Now she walks up to people and tells them "I have the most amazing story to tell you." and she hits the play button her the digital recorder LOL
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• LOL wonder what your MIL thought when he told her you were gonna beat her butt haha. That is normal for his age but you just have to make sure that he is getting punished when he gets caught lying. At his age taking away privileges is more effective than time outs are but when he lies make sure you give him a chance to tell the truth and warn him about his punishment. Good Luck, and I bet your MIL will think twice before she burns around your house again haha.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I usually can tell when my daughter is lying and give her a chance to tell the truth....while reminding her that telling the truth will always bring less or no punishment but lying will always bring punishment. She usually fesses up but there is nothing more I hate than being lied to! Stick to punishments for lying and reinforce positive behavior and hopefully, it will pass! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Id talk to him and tell him what he is doing is wrong and it may hurt someones feelings
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i THINK at this time they are basically trying to make their lives interesting lol
    like my 5 yr old lies as well, not really about anything for instance "mommy, my teacher gave all the girls in class candy, but gave all the boys rocks instead" lol oooookkkaaaayyy then....not true, but im not worried, hes not telling lies to get out of trouble or cover his butt with anything
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Explain to him that lying makes people not trust you and not like you very much. Being honest is the way to have people like you and trust you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2010