Someone please tell me my kid is normal...

I have a 4 year old little boy. He is trying my patience on a daily basis. He's an active kid to begin with, which isn't surprising as neither his daddy or I are very laid back people. But lately he is spending more time in time out than not!

Tell me if this is relatively normal for a four year old:

Talking back ("I dont WANT to mom" or "I dont have to" or the famous "No.")

Sneaking into things then telling me the dog or his little brother did it.

Lying about doing naughty things (getting into things he's not supposed to, making messes.

Blatantly disobeying right in front of me.

He's NEVER gotten away with this crap, so i don't know why he thinks he can now. I know it has a lot to do with his dad being gone (working out of state), and learning bad habits from kids at preschool, but MAN this is getting hard to deal with!

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 9:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 4 year old son is doing all of those exact same things....and so are all his 4 year old friends too...i think its totally normal....mine gets time outs often as well. Just remember to breathe. :)
    waleb1002

Answer by waleb1002 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Sounds normal to me!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Totally NORMAL! He is just testing you. Be consistent and it won't last too much longer. If you give in, he will run all over you. Remember... CONSISTENCE, CONSISTENCE, CONSISTENCE!

Good luck! It is totally trying and aggravating! HUGS!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• as the saying goes 'boys will be boys'
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 9:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I completely agree with SleepingBeautee, He is seeing where is boundries are! :) How far can I go before I cant go anymore? If I keep doing it will she give in and let me do it anyway? NORMAL!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Man, i am SO glad to hear it's not just my kid! Lol! Consistency is something I've always been big on, but i could be better about it. I'm just praying this is a relatively short phase! :D
    MommaTurbo

Comment by MommaTurbo (original poster) at 9:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I'll just warn you now - regardless of gender the next one is WORSE!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• AAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My two year old is like that! So it's not going to get any better?? :(
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• mine tells me he doesn't want to all the time.. but he's discovered the joys of penis lately so that's been kinda funny.. he came out of his room naked and his junk was wearing 3d glasses, then last week it was wearing a slinky.... boys and their toys.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Totally normal.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010