Do you agree with this article? Do you think this matter requires the attention of the Department of Justice?

...[F]ormer Federal Election Commissioner Hans A. von Spakovsky explained Friday in The Examiner, federal law makes it illegal for officials with a Senate campaign to coordinate with corporate or union officials: "Both the Reid campaign and Harrah's may have violated federal campaign finance law that prohibits in-kind corporate and union contributions to, and coordination with, political campaigns. Corporations and unions may spend money to run ads in support of or opposing a candidate, but they are not allowed to make direct or in-kind contributions to federal candidates. Federal criminal law also prohibits intimidation and coercion of a person exercising his or her right to vote (or not to vote)."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Elizabeth Crum, the Reid staffer pleaded with Marybel Batjer, Harrah's vice president for government relations, to do everything possible to get the firm's thousands of employees and their families in Nevada's largest county to the polls to vote for the Senate majority leader, including putting a "headlock" on recalcitrant supervisors "to get them to follow through." In response, Batjer instructed her fellow Harrah's executives that they were to "do whatever we need to do to get the supervisors to know that there is NOTHING more important than to get employees out to vote. Waking up to a defeat of Harry Reid Nov 3rd will be devastating for our industry's future."

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• If they broke the law then it absolutely deserves the attention of the Dept. of Justice. I doubt we see anything like that though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It seems that this group of progressives is above any and all adherence to the laws of our country, they do whatever they want and somehow it is just okay, I haven't understood why this is acceptable from the very beginning of this admin; so many Unconstitutional, unethical, questionable events have been swept under the rug, it hasn't and still makes no sense...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• So yes, I agree there should be an investigation as QuinnMae said, but I too doubt anything will be done...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I doubt anything will be done either. This is the type of thing that will come to a head in this country soon.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it should be investigated, but I doubt that it will. If it is I doubt that anything will come of it. Same old, same old. Unions have used their influence this way for a long time.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it should be investigated, heck they seem to like bringing suit against themselves anyway (illegal immigration)! I've always thought that the Teacher's Union should be investigated as well! You wouldn't believe the number of mailers and phone calls I received regarding JUST the mid-terms directly from my state's union!!! Never mind the "urging" for my donation to their PAC (yeah right)!

And NOW within a day or two of this election, I've already received multiple emails and phone calls URGING me to write to the powers that be in my state to vote to "save the teacher's pensions!" Because we now have one of those "fiscally conservative Republican governors" (who plans on running our state like Chris Christie) WOOT! Of course, I can't help thinking, you had a super liberal Democrat who made many failed promises for 8 years regarding pensions, and NOW you're worried?! LOL Whatever.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think the second it is investigated, people will start whining about how it's "obstructionist Republicans" who just wanted to get into office to start all these investigations. Because you know, complaining about the investigation is far more important than the truth (unless they want Bush/Cheney investigated, THEN it's important).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If the law was broken, everyone involved needs to be punished. Either way I'm positive Reid won the Senate because he "arranged" it. To bad for him he will just be no more than a thorn in the sides of Republicans, a bug to be squashed.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010