Blood Pressure and Pregnancy

Hi! I'm 5 weeks pregnant and I've been wondering about something. High blood pressure runs in my dads side of the family but nothing traumatic. Mine runs a tad high when I go to the doctors for a cold. I try to tell them I'm nervous, I hear my heart pounding, and I feel panicked but they don't retake it. I started a low salt diet earlier this year and was getting readings at the pharmacy to see if I could control it per doctors request. Readings over couple months were 119/77, 139/79, 102/82, 141/78(this I did a retry after relaxing and it read 120/78. This was all early this year and I kinda slacked off my diet since. When I found out I was preg at doctors office my BP was 141/70. I went in for shortness of breath and learned I was pregnant. I was really freaked out thinking I was ill or something but EKG was normal. I am eating healthy now, only 22yr old, not overweight. Should I worry about this or not?

Charmasina

Asked by Charmasina at 10:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mine goes up whenever I go to a dr, too. They call it "white coat syndrome". Not joking.

There is a condition called preeclampsia which is pregnancy-induced high blood pressure. This doesn't start until at least 20 weeks and left unchecked, can lead to eclampsia with symptoms of stroke or seizure. I was diagnosed with severe pre-e at 33 wks and had my daughter by c-section that same night. You're too early for this condition, but it doesn't hurt to be aware of it.

Since your numbers are high, invest in a home bp monitor to keep track of your readings. Take readings at set points every day (like when you wake up) and write it all down. This way your doctor will know how you're doing without his/her influence.

Keep eating healthy, and ask your dr about salt intake. Good luck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• OH! And as a side note, two days before I had gotten WASTED at a tailgate (didn't know friend was upping the amount of alcohol in my drink...haha very funny... >.> Could kill him...) and I was very sick. I originally thought my shortness of breath was caused by a heart condition that was brought on by so much alcohol that might have set my BP really high! So I don't know if that made a difference either or not. Just hoping for some advice on the matter. I'm afraid of complications during this pregnancy, it's my first and I am doing my best to watch my salt intake.
    Charmasina

Comment by Charmasina (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You are still really early in your pregnancy for it to become too extremely concerning. I would keep an eye on it. The number that they worry about the most is the bottom number. Which it looks like those have stayed pretty low. When I had pre-eclampsia with my son my top number was over 140 from 24 weeks til I had my son at 33 weeks. They decided to finally take him when my blood pressure hit 220/170. As long as your bottom number stays this way, you should be good. I would get a monitor for home though and watch yoru salt intake. Also laying on yourleft side can help bring the numbers down. Good luck and congrats!
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 10:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You're bp's dont seem to be that bad. I've worked in two hospitals for almost 5 yrs . The concern I would have in the future of this pregnancy is preeclampsia. They will take your baby in a min w preeclampsia. But as far as right now and the bp's. Just keep a good eye on it. Yes alchol can definitaly have a factor in it. And some people tend to have high blood pressure, low blood pressure or it be within normal. Thats why where I work we have to look at history and not freak if some is high or low. But good luck!!
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 2:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i also had high bp(240/i can't remember) with my first pregnancy. At 26 weeks i had preeclampsia and hellp syndrome. They life flighted me and i had an emergency c-section that night. Basically, you should exercise and watch ur salt intake. Also, smoking will increase your bp as well. It would also be a great idea to get a home blood pressure machine to check it at home. Just make sure you check it while your doctors office is open, in case you have any problems. Good Luck!
    bcbmami

Answer by bcbmami at 11:02 AM on Nov. 9, 2010