What is the best way to break my daughter of needing a sippy cup at night?

my daughter refuses to go to sleep without a sippy cup of something it doesn't even have to be milk she just has to have something.

Bellasmomma2010

Asked by Bellasmomma2010 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say pick your battles. If you tell her she can only have water at night after she brushes her teeth, what is the harm in a sippy cup of water? If it a huge deal when you get to potty training at night, you could slowly decrease the amount in the cup. But night time accidents are not considered a problem till 5 or 6 and by then she might outgrow it on her own. If it were a bear and not a cup- not many people would try to take it away.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Stop giving it to her at bedtime....you shouldn't ever let your child be that in control. Eventually she will fall asleep, it may take hours and even a week or so for her to get used to it. But it is really bad for kids to go to sleep with something to drink. If you don't want her teeth to rot out by the time she is three I'd say just take it away.
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I went through this, I let her take a water cup to bed with her and when she fell asleep I took it so it was gone when she woke up. I also would pick a small stuffed animal to put in its place. Soon I started having her give me the cup while she was in bed and I would give her the stuffed animal and the sippy would stay in eyesight till she was asleep, than I would remove it from the room. Then I would remove it from the room before she fell asleep. Over all it took about a month.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Im not sure if this is the best answer but maybe a pacifier would be better.And then eventually train her during the day to be a big girl and use a big girl cup then out with the sippy cups and then as the pacifier gets old mine ended up not wanting it it got to soft..But all children are differant...its worth a try..huggs
    mylife04

Answer by mylife04 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I send my kids to bed with a little bit of water in a sippy cup. I get thirsty during the night, so I assume that maybe my kids do, too. But this can be a tough call if you are trying to potty train at night....guess I'll hit that road when I get there. lol. Good luck!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:19 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Well she doesn't need it, she wants it, and probably because she's used to having it. What we do with my daughter is we let her have a sippy of milk, or chocolate milk about 30 minutes or more before bed time, and then she brushes her teeth. Sometimes she will ask for something upon laying down and I offer her water and that's it. I don't really mind her having water incase she gets thirsty in the middle of the night. Maybe you could try doing that. Just tell her she has already brushed her teeth and made them pretty and clean so you can't offer her anything else. If you break her of it now it will really come in handy when your ready to get her night time potty trained.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Ok, it sounds REALLY mean, but it's like the only way that I know works.. Make sure she gets enough to eat and drink at supper, and when you put her to bed, just dont give it to her. She will cry, but she will get over it. I know how terrible that sounds but it really is true.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't understand why you want to keep her from a sippy cup?
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2010