How much weight should a newborn gain in the first two weeks?

lovebunny82709

Asked by lovebunny82709 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's a hard one. Some babies lose alittle weight the first few weeks. now by alittle I mean a couple ounces. It really depends on the baby. My son lost around 3unces from the time he left the birthing center and went back for his 2wk check up.hope someone can give you a more detailed answer.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Mine usually made it back to their birth weight seeing as they were born and lost a bit of weight.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• By 2 weeks all mine had gone back up to their birth weight - they all lost almost a pound the first week.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• They can loose up to 10% of birth-weight (which is an entire lb for a 10lb baby, 14oz for a 9lber, 12oz for a 8lber, 11oz for a 7lber, etc....). After they are done loosing (usually by the end of week 1), they can gain as little 4oz a week. So, a 7lb baby might loose 11oz, then gain 4oz in the second week and still only be 6lbs 9oz at 2 weeks.

Many babies won't loose quite that much, or they will gain it back quicker... but that's the lower end of "normal".
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• 0 they should gain 0 in the first 2 weeks they should loose from birth wt upto 10% in the first 14 days of life after that they take off
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I've heard the same, they should be back up to their birthweight by 2 weeks old. But they can grow a lot faster. I was so sad about how fast my first baby grew, I thought it was supposed to take 2 weeks for him to regain his birthweight and I expected to have this tiny newborn baby for several weeks, but he was over his birthweight by 4 days old and had gained over a pound by 2 weeks old. He barely seemed like a newborn at all. But then my 2nd baby lost a lot more weight and did take almost the full 2 weeks to gain it back and because I was used to how my son grew it made me worried that maybe she wasn't eating enough. Anyway, they were both healthy and normal, there is a range of what is normal.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my baby lost like almost 2 lbs her first week then after that she got back to her birth weight by the end of week two.
    sheena.bo.beana

Answer by sheena.bo.beana at 4:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2010