Time Out Corner?

My son is 20 months old. For time out he gets sent to the corner. He really dont like it and it works other than he really likes to look around and yell (cry). My fience yells at him for doing it and makes him stand there until he stops whigning. Do you think thats okay? Or should we be okay with him whigning as long as he stands there? Also what about the looking around thing? Should we allow it or no? Thank you!

kaylie_08

Asked by kaylie_08 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• As long as he's in the corner I wouldn't worry about the rest. He's just frustrated and thats how he gets it out. That fact that he will stay in time is good, most run off at that age.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 10:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I agree, at that age, it's great that he STAYS there. If you continue to use that when he gets a little older (2 1/2, 3, etc) where he can really understand and comprehend NOT to look around and to stop whining, etc...then you can go from there. But small steps. He's doing great! =)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 10:35 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• you have to put kids in timeout for an age appropriate time frame. a 20 month old shouldn't be in time out for more than 2 minutes, tops. It is ok imo to enforce proper timeoput protocol, and if no looking around is it for your house, thats ok, but I would start be making sure he's not in there too long in the first place. furthermore, he shouldn't be yelled at for looking around, but calmly corrected and told what is expected of h im and what the consequences are of looking around - ie face the corner or you have to stay there. keep in mind he's not even 2 and keep the time apprpriate. if he can never succeed in doing it the way he's expected to, he will never ever learn.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 11:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I dunno, when my SO gets off his timeout, I will ask him!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 2, 2008