DO YOU BELIEVE A PARENT CAN LOVE THEIR CHILDREN

UNCONDITIONALLY AND NOT LOVE THEMSELVES.

canta1980

Asked by canta1980 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes and no. I believe they can love them unconditionally, but I don't believe they can fully express that love and parent in a totally healthy way, because one thing we need to be able to do is to teach our kids how to have self acceptance and self respect and self love, and the best way to do this is to model it in our own lives.

Also, our kids need to be able to respect us as their parents, and as people - they need that for a sense of security as well as for effective parenting. If we don't have respect (love) for ourselves, then it's hard to expect others to feel that for us, and, over the yrs, that can undermine the relationship.

That doesn't mean, however, that the parent doesn't love the child, or that the parent can't work on and resolve their issues with self esteem, self respect, and self love - which, in and of itself can also be a good example to the child.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes, but it's so important to love yourself too so you can celebrate all of the wonderful qualities that your sweet children got from you!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 10:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No. I don't believe you can really love someone if you cannot love yourself. I love my children unconditionally, but I have self worth.
    mammanoel

Answer by mammanoel at 10:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I too think you have to love yourself in order to love someone else equally or more.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• No. I think you have to love yourself before you can truly love someone else.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• no I think that if you can not truely love yourself unconditionally you will never be able to love anyone else unconditionally because you do not know what unconditionally is then.
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 11:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• yep!
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Yes, I saw it all of the time when I was teaching. The kids ran all over them because they know Mom didn't care about herself, just them. It's not a good situation at all. Love thy children as thyself!
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 12:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• How can you give what you don't have? If you don't love yourself unconditionally, then you cannot love anyone else unconditionally - not even your own children.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No because you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2010