I am thinking about switching my phone service to Vonage? Anyone have Vonage? Do you like it or not?

scurnes

Asked by scurnes at 10:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We do have Vonage and have no issues with it. We like it and the price.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We have Vonage and we LOVE it. We got it when we lived in Washington State and we had the choice of keeping our "old number". Then we started moving to our new duty station. We were able to take our Vonage box (not very big, about the size of a caller ID box) with us and plug it in at my inlaw's house (it didn't interfere with their home phone service at all, but they didn't have Vonage, so I don't know if it would have then). They were able to get their calls and we were able to make and receive calls as well on our own number.

Now that we're in Japan, we're still able to have our Vonage, and we don't have to pay international rates to call back and forth to family in the States. (oh, and our computer doesn't have to be on all the time - it plugs into our router directly)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Oh, one thing that is a downside - if we don't have power or if our cable goes out, the Vonage doesn't work. But - at least as far as the power goes - that's pretty much true for all phones these days... (at least the cordless ones), so we aren't really worried about that.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• We had Vonage (or my DH did when we needed another line for his work), and we liked it fine. It is dependent on your power and internet working though. We also have cell phones as a back up, so we weren't too worried about it. The price was really good, especially since his parents live out of state and long distance was included in the price. The only reason we got rid of it was because we decided to bundle our cable and phone service in this new place, and we didn't need a second line anymore.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Never tried Vonage but I heard + and - comments about it!
    Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Love it! Price is consistent. No lag, clear, caller ID, voicemail (in your inbox too), Can check my messages & call log anytime.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Have friends with Vonage - the LOVE it EXCEPT that their telephone number is not "LOCAL". It creates havoc with the schools since the public schools (where one actually works) cannot make phone calls to long distance numbers (which their vonage number was) and if there were an emergency with one of their boys - it was a hassel to get a hold of a parent or for a teacher to call about any issues etc.

But they loved being able to call one of their siblings in France cheap, cheap, cheap.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010