Only 3 weeks pregnant and need to quit smoking.

I've been a moderately heavy smoker since I was about 17. I'm now 23 and I'm 3 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I had no trouble quitting with my first during my entire pregnancy and breastfeeding, but I'm finding it harder to quit this time. It's all I think about. I know I'm only 3 weeks but I also know I should quit sooner than later. I smoke about a half a pack up to a pack a day depending on the day. Should I cut back and then quit or should I just go cold turkey? I've heard different opinions about this so I'm confused!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you can go cold turkey, go for it! You are already thinking of your baby which is great....just put them down and walk away. My husband uses hard candy to fight urges or gum; give them a try and see if you can do it! Good luck and congrats on the baby.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• quit please give that baby a chance i loved my cigerettes but when i found out i did it for the baby not me we suppose to protect them and i am so glad my baby is 3 and healthy dont get sick but my poor neice has respitory problems and everything i think that is very selfish the baby dint ask to come please stop . know u dont want to be at the er all night with a baby that cant breathe because of you
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Ive heard both also. My friends doc told her to cut back and not to quit cold turkey. becuase its almost like a addict. The baby feels its needs that nicotine and could harm the baby, put it in destress. Cut back a good bit and plan to just quit. Im almost 23 and i had my first cigrette when i was 10! TRuST ME I KNOW HOW HARD iT is!! My first child i quit at 3 months BUT it took me 3 weeks to smoke 1 pack a day! My 2nd i was so sick the WHOLE time i didnt want NOTHING to do with a cigrette. 8 months after he was born picked it back up again...and i hate i ever did...but having one kid im sure you know the risks in premature labor, still born, sids after being born,addiction to child. It's serious...Good luck babe!! need any support let me know! ;)
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 2:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010