How can I not gain too much weight if I'm pregnant?

Hello, My husband and I have recently been "working" on a 2nd pregnancy and though it's probably too soon to test positive, I find myself already having an "I'm pregnant I can eat what I want" mentality. How can I change this (I've already gained like 5 lbs in the last month) I really don't want to struggle losing baby weight next time. Especially since, if planned right, my high-school reunion will be 3 months after I deliver. And why do I keep eating when I'm not even hungry??? I am really struggling.... especially with the holiday season here! Help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Don't try to NOT gain weight. Your baby needs you to. But, eat healthy. Cut our extra fats, sugars, unhealthy carbs. Eat whole grains, lean proteins, and lots of vegetables and fruits.
    momtoeight

Answer by momtoeight at 5:58 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Really try to listen to your body as far as when you are hungry and when you're bored or something else that triggers you to eat. Go walking with a friend or DH, swim (indoors)... You can exercise, just go easy. Make sure the foods you eat count.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• You have to change your mentality. You really do not need to increase what you eat. Just eat in moderation and do not overindulge.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• don't eat what you want... eat what you need.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When I was pregnant with my son, I gained 30lbs. I did this by eating veggies, whole grains,etc. I also read labels and learned what food to avoid. I did not drink soda, coffee,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Eat what you need.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• OP here.... thanx.... I guess I've just always struggled with my body image and food.... I had a short bout with anerexia a few years ago (before my dd) which lead to me even using narcatics to suppress my appetite.... I know I would never do that again, but sometimes I think I use food as a "drug" when I'm stressed, that and I just love food and I wish I didnt.... I'm about 5-7 lbs over my goal weight and gained about 50lbs during my last pregancy and lost all that but recently can feel a weight gain coming on (pregnant or not) because of my bad habits and gym membership expiring (with not enough funds to re-join) already gain that 5-7 after feeling so proud at platueing at my goal for a few months.... I'm sooooooo discouraged, yet we really do want to expand our family (and I'm 99% sure that I am in very early pregnancy and will test as soon as I miss my period) I just don't know how to stop my bad habits....
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Don't over do it.. Dont think it's a pass to pig out all the time, and eat healthy for you and your baby. Don't drink sodas and no caffiene. does the trick.
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 9, 2010

• Don't listen to eveyone who says "oh you're pregnant. You can eat what you want"

Not true..... Think ahead to have quickly you'd like to feel healthy after the baby. Eat what you need, and no more.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 9:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2010