Why is there so many people who can have kids with someone and never get married?

I don't understand. I work for WIC and about 60% of my patients have mutiple kids by different men and have never been married and have no intentions of getting married. I just don't understand how so many people think having a child with someone but not getting married is OK. Call me old fashion, but I just don't get it. How do you all feel about it>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• I agree with you, but you may not know all of their circumstances. I want my kids to look alike.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Marriage is a piece of paper. I am committed to my baby's father 100%, and a piece of paper is nothing but another chore we haven't gotten around to yet. We'll do it eventually, but only because I want to have the same last name as my family. I don't need a contract to say that I love him.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:08 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I agree... I was young and dumb.. and was very lucky to not get prego by any of those men.. until I found my husband..I knew he was the one and we got married and have 2 beautiful DDs But some women see nothing wrong with it..WAKE UP LADIES
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:10 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I don't want to offend anyone, I just don't understand and wanted some thoughts on the subject.
    Anonymous

• Well, I have been with my husband since I was 15. So I guess I never got to really experience a lot of things or things could have turned out different for me, who knows? He is my one and only!
    Anonymous

• emturner, please tell me what I need to wake up to. We have been together for 8 years, and have a beautiful son together. We have more respect and trust in each other than MANY married couples I know. What exactly will a piece of paper change in our relationship?
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• if a woman is in a committed, long term relationship but dont want the ritual of marriage, then so be it. as one woman said, technically, marriage is just a binding document. now, the women who have multiple kids with multiple fathers with no plans of a relationship being stable or going anywhere baffle my mind and some days, flat out piss me off. BUT, to each their own...guess the taxpayers just have to continue taking the hit on that one...
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 10:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I am a mother of 3 and i am not married my BF is the father of two of my children how every he was there during my hole pregnancy with my first child. and he knows that he is not his but my son calls him daddy. we have been together since he was 3m old. i plan to get married just not right now. its just a piece of paper.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:15 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Marriage is much more than a piece of paper. If you really believe that then there's no reason for you to get married.
    Anonymous

• um helloo.... maybe if we had a little less olf fashioned people in the world people we wouldnt be discriminated by who we have our children with married or not... whats it matter its not your life so dont worry about it. marriage has nothing to do with raising children..many kids see mommy and daddy on a regular basis im sure they dont worry about a paper saying they are married.. the world is a different place now and everyone needs to realize things change
    Anonymous