OMGOSH! I feel like the worst momma ever now!

My son was scheduled to have tubes put in his ears on tuesday. Well I when I went to the ent to have them schedule this, they gave me a bunch of paper work and I meant to have read over it before tonight but everything has had me SO INCREDIBLY busy that by the time I get home I am exhausted and go to bed. There was a prescription in the packet to be filled for him to start taking yesterday and then I read that I was suppose to schedule a pre-op the same day i was at the ent....I don't ever recall them telling me this?! How on earth did i forget everything?! I don't even know if they are gonna be able to do the surgery now?! I feel terrible and all I have done is bawled since I realized what happened!

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't just fill the script reschedule the appointment to get the tubes in his ears. Find out when you are supposed to start giving him the meds and schedule the other appointment. It is certainly not a life or death matter. Don't stress so much. Something easily rescheduled. Can't get down on yourself over a simple mistake.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• It happens... It's called mama brain... just talk to the dr... If you're taking care of your son's health then obviously you're not a bad mother... you're only human!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Don't beat yourself up. Just reschedule. When you do insure you ask questions to be informed on what you need to do.
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 11:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I would call the hospital and see if he can still have the surgery and if not, just apologize and say you were dealing with other important matters (certainly not a lie) and find out what you need to do from here. Everyone makes mistakes and it's not the end of the world. Instead of beating yourself up, just learn from your mistake and just don't overlook things in the future. Use it as a learning experience and you'll be just fine. God bless!
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• I can see why you'd be upset. The only thing you can do now is get to calling who you need to call, or in the morning do it.

and I bet from now on you are going to be so anal about looking over paperwork. :)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Just know he will get his tubes, relax and call in the morning.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2010

• Normally when you have a procedure that is done at the hospital, the doctor's office is supposed to schedule the pre-op date for you. If they didn't give you any information on this, then they are at fault. Call them and tell them to reschedule and to let you know when to take your child for the pre-op appointment. Don't be so hard on yourself, all you have to do is reschedule.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Most likely NOT YOUR FAULT. If they are like my ENT they just rush you out of the office. They should talk to you and make it a point to tell you THE PROCESS. Anyone worth their salt knows a mom is busy. A whole days worth of information can go out the when when you kid explodes their diaper in the car or colors the wall of your apartment with a sharpie, etc.

Anyway. My son got tubes in without a pre-op or a prescription and he did have an ear infection when they put them in. Now that I think about it....maybe i was suppose to get him a prescription and a pre-op? Who knows? Point being, just call and ask....it's not life or death. Putting tubes off another couple days or a week won't hurt. You are not a bad mom!!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• goodDon't be so hard on yourself mama. You're a busy bee and things like this happen. Don't worry, I am sure the doctor's office will do a reschedule and you can be at ease. Take a deep breath and you're good. Just a minor setback, you'll get back on track.

mommieGem

Answer by mommieGem at 12:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Leann - Don't feel bad....here's a true story. When I had my 1st, I decided to make a solo grocery shopping trip when she was about 3 weeks old. I got all my coupons in order. All my (paper) food stamps organized. I packed her diaper bag: extra diapers, wipes, clothes, blankets....loaded her in her car seat after nursing her, burping her, changing her, getting her in her much hated snow suit. I loaded the car after warming it up (she was born in mid-November) and drove ever so carefully to the store, went to get the baby out of the back seat.....and SHE WASN'T THERE!!!! I had my purse, diaper bag, warm car......but forgot the baby at home! I was devastated - thinking surely she was screaming her little lungs out and when I got home, I found her quite peaceful and sleeping soundly.

I am still in counseling for how bad I felt about forgetting her!! jk (Well, I AM in counseling, but it's to deal with old issues! lol)
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010