Vaginal odor after birth... adult content

I gave birth last month on the 13th, and ever since a few weeks ago my vagina has had a strong foul odor, almost like a rotten smell which leads me to believe it's just dead cells, which could be normal after giving birth. However it could also be an infection. I'm not having any symptoms of an infection though, like discharge or pain. I'm wondering if this is normal? I don't have health insurance (yeah I know I should but I can barely afford diapers) so I can't just go see a doctor just to be told it's normal and be charged at least $100 for their time.
Can someone tell me what's going on or if you experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2010 in Health

• I didn't have that but it doesn't sound normal, you can try looking this up on WebMD.com and hopefully that will help. Are you bleeding still or in pain? I know some one who had part of the placenta still in her... I hope it's not that.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I did have a little bit of an odor but it wasn't like over bearing or really strong. I couldn't smell it through my clothes or anything like that but even if I washed, it still smelled a little. It ended up going away after a few weeks. However if yours is really bad then I think you need to see a doctor. Like Donna said, if you have a piece of the placenta still inside, it is a huge hemmorage risk. My grandma almost died from hemmoraging from that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You definitely need to see a doc/nurse practitioner. You could have a uterine infection. Call planned parenthood. Their fees are based on income, so you will prbbably pay nothing to almost nothing for an appointment.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I had this problem after I had my first son and was clueless about what was going on..this lasted for about two weeks....One night I spiked a high fever and I went to the ER.....it seems as if part of the after birth was still in me....I know its weird....and looking back on it...it really ticks me off! I mean my OB /GYN should have made sure all was good before I left the hospital......not saying this is your problem.....just saying was all expelled during child birth?
    tracylyn245

Answer by tracylyn245 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Since my 1st child, 4 yrs ago ive continuously had discharge and it has a "slight" oder to it. It's very embaressing for me. But everytime ive told the doc they says it normal. My mom says she still does it since her first child which is now 24 yrs old. Sucks but mayb it is normal
    HaRlEiGhSmOmMa

Answer by HaRlEiGhSmOmMa at 2:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I've never heard of that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:29 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i would call around to see if there are any free clinics, something that is abnormal, espeically postpartum, needs to be looked into.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• can you go to a clinic?
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2010