Should I avoid eggs during my next pregnancy if my daughter is allergic to eggs?

I understand that if You have a family history of food allergies it is important to avoid peanuts during pregnancy..... and my 19 mo dd is allergic to peanuts (and I almonds) so I will def avoid nuts during my next pregnancy, just to try and beat the odds..... but should I avoid eggs as well if dd is allergic to eggs? Her allergist says she will most likely grow out of that one and she does not have as severe of a reaction (we carry an epi-pen for the peanuts) I just googled it and a site told me that there is no evidence stating that avoiding eggs while pregnant can prevent an egg allergy in your baby. Anyone have experience or know the right answer to this..... (yes I will def ask the mid wife when it comes time, but just thinking ahead)

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 12:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't know about during pregnancy, but, I do know to avoid feeding your child ANY foods before 6 months and to hold off on feeding solids as long as possible saving high allergy foods until the very last after one and maybe even 2. So the longer you can postpone foods(even baby foods) and then allergy foods, the better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I have never heard of eating certain foods causes allergic reactions or anything to the unborn baby.. So I would think that eggs would be safe to eat while pregnant.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• @ BradenIsMySon, my dd was exclusively breastfed until6 months (I continued to breastfed her until just 3 months ago)and I did not introduce whole eggs until well after she turned 1 and that is how we realized she was allergic because a rash formed.... the allergist did a routine allergy skin test to commonly allergic foods and that is how we found out about the peanuts.... I basically did everything I was suppose to to try to avoid food allergies for her.... but she got them anyway. ( I didn't however, avoid eggs or peanuts during pregnancy or breastfeeding- until I found out about her allergies then I stopped eating them until I weaned her) Now for my next pregnancy (which I might be pregnant, but it's still too early to test) I will def avoid peanuts, but trying to research and figure out if I should avoid the eggs as well..... One, because eggs have such great nutritional value for pregnant women, cont...
    marchma2b

Comment by marchma2b (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• and 2, because I know breakfast food was a huge craving for me with my first pregnancy.... I know every pregnancy is different though and maybe I won't crave it as much or at all, but like I said before, just thinking ahead
    marchma2b

Comment by marchma2b (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2010