Speech Problem?

My son is 20 months old and will be 2 in Feburary 2009. He is talking sort of but not completley. I know that he is still young to be talking completly clear but his talk is not all there. He will say baba for baby and things like that. He has yet to learn no and yes and stuff. I was just wondering if anyone knows if i should get him into some speech theropy or something? Any advice will help. I see other kids his age talking so clearly. Please Help!

kaylie_08

Asked by kaylie_08 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I posted the answer on another thread. But I wanted to explain a little bit more. A lot of moms are not aware that their child has a speech delay. Usually everyone assures them its normal, especially in boys. And sometimes it is normal. I noticed at 5mths my son was not cooing as other kids his age did. As he got older every other mile stone he was where he should be. In fact, in many areas he is ahead. I suggested to my son's doctor that I wanted a speech therapist to evaluate him. She didn't have too much concern but I felt very strongly about it. So at 10mths he did have a speech evaluation. At 19mths, when I still didn't hear "mama" or "daddy" or "no" - my son's therapist diagnosed him with a serious speech disorder.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:01 PM on Nov. 1, 2008