Speech Development?

My son is 20 months old and will be 2 in Feburary 2009. He is talking sort of but not completley. I know that he is still young to be talking completly clear but his talk is not all there. He will say baba for baby and things like that. He has yet to learn no and yes and stuff. I was just wondering if anyone knows if i should get him into some speech theropy or something? Any advice will help. I see other kids his age talking so clearly. Please Help!

kaylie_08

Asked by kaylie_08 at 10:17 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• Boys typically don't talk as much or as early as girls. My son is 14 months and barely says anything understandable as English. He says Dada and Mama, but that's about it... and it's rare. But, he DOES understand a lot of what I say. He shakes his head no (not yes, yet), he responds appropriately to questions and directions, like "You want more juice?" to which he will run to me and hand me his empty cup, or "It's bathtime!" to which he runs to the bathroom and beats on the side of the tub. He knows "Give mama kiss", and leans in for a kiss, and waves hello and bye when directed. Pay attention to your son's mannerisms and things of this nature, and try not to worry.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Check with your local social services agencies. We have something in our state called Early Intervention, and they do speech, developmental, occupational, and physical therapy until a child reaches 3 yrs old. They do an evaluation on the child and then based on the scores, determine if he is eligible or not. We have a medical card for our daughter that receives these services because she was a foster child before we adopted her, but if you don't have a medical card, then they have a sliding fee scale that is based on your income. A friend of mine also recieves these services for her son, and they pay $50 a month. I hope this helps and good luck!
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 10:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• MamaLion couldn't have said it better. My youngest just turned 2 and is doing the same thing as the above poster's son. He does have his own little language and does speak some words (maybe 10 words or so...when he wants to!). lol But he does understand direction and what you ask of him. Does yours do the same? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. It will come in time. But if he doesn't understand little direction for things that you ask of him, then I'd ask his pediatrician about it. Sometimes when that happens (not saying this is the case for you)...it could be a speech delay, or something with their hearing, etc. I'm not saying this to worry you, but just explaining it in case he doesn't do those things. =) HTH!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 10:33 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Well it sounds normal though I don't agree with it being a gender thing at all. I have three boys and all three of them at 15 months had a language explosion, I guess so to speak. By 18 months they were all speaking in small sentences. each child is different and I think your sounds average in the talking field. If he has not improved by two you could ask for his hearing to be tested or get him into speech classes. I had a good friend whose daughter was completely m ute until a week before her third birthday and she started talking in complete sentences.

The only thing you can really do is just keep asking him to say something. Like work on a puzzle and try to get him to say pig or dog or whatever is in the puzzle you are working on. Or if you are handing him a cup say can you say cup? Does that make sense? Good luck to you.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• One of these days your son will "wake up" and start talking and not stop. 20 months old should not have a big vocabulary. They do understand some things at 20 months old and know how to let you know something.Its just like a 5 year old putting letters together to make words, words together to make sentences, and so on.They learn it and when it hits them, watch out.If you were asking this question in a year or 2, the answer would be different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Nov. 2, 2008