If a child is put into foster care or adopted out by the government against the wishes of the two people who created that child, Do you think the two people who created that child have a right to be known as the biological mother and father, or even as the childs mother or father?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Its not about a "right" to be known as a biological parent. Its just a fact. Everyone has biological parents. Kids who are adopted still have biological parents even if they do not have any contact or know them at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No. Their rights are gone when the state deems them unfit to parent. As someone who has tried to adopt, I know it takes FOREVER for a state to terminate parental rights. If the bio parents can't get their act together in that time, then they have no right to a relationship with the child. Of course the child should know they are adopted if they have no memory of their birth parents. But it's up to the adoptive parents to give them any info about their bio parents. A private adoption is one thing, but one done by the state is completely different.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• NOPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i agree with corbysmom531 and to add any woman can give birth but the one that care,loves,protects,and raise the child is a mother.
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 2:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Kids dont just drop out of thin air. They come from some place...even if that someplace is a person who lost their rights. I believe the question was do the ppl who created the child have the right to be known as biological parents? Well simply yes. They ARE the biological parents. You cant say "No" to that because being biological just is. It isnt a right. Being biological is a state of being.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• In my scenario, our 3 little ones will know of their birth parents. And I will try to paint a positive picture. BM does have the right to visit twice a year in a public place as long as we live in this state. If we move, that will end. She also has my email and is allowed to contact us that way and we are to send letters to her. That is very rare in foster care that leads to adoption. As for the BF, he is to have zero contact. I would not feel comfortable with him having any knowledge of our location. He was not pleased about this adoption, but never once triedto get them back. He would not even agree to work a plan. So I cannot feel sorry for him. He had an opportunity, but chose the path of least resistance and ultimately lost his chance to parent these amazing babies. So, our children will know of their BPs, but that may be the extent of it.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it's up to the adoptive parents. Me? It's unlikely I would explain who the BP's are when they were so bad they had their rights revoked. I mean BOTH of them? That's awful. I would let my kid(s) know they were adopted & if they wanted to find their BP's once they were 18 go for it. It'd be a cold day in hell before I'd expose my child to harm & that's exactly what I'd expect from BP's like those. But, once they are adults if they want to know, I'd understand.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It is just a fact. No one can change who their biological parents are. It's ridiculous to imply that the fact can ever be changed. Doesn't make them good parents or legal parents, though.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No one denies their status as the birth parents. Children adopted do know they are adopted and most of the time have their history of family of orgin. When the state terminates parental rights it is not taken lightly. Which means children adopted through foster care were seriously neglected or abused. I never once met a child in care who was healthy, never abused or neglected.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It depends on why the children were taken. If it was because of cruelty or if the parents are dangerous then they should loose rights and contact with the child.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010