my adult dog cant make a bowel movement and the vet is too expensive right now what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pets

• DH's cat used to get that way. You might have to glove up and get in there yourself. No fun, I know, but I works. GL
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It may be expensive but pet owners have a duty to get their pets to the vet when it's needed. My girl corgi had walking issues all of a sudden and though I can't totally afford it, she went to the vet.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 5:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• u might have to google a safe laxaitive to give dogs and see if that works poor puppy, but the sooner u find something the better he/she feels and u wont have to worry
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 6:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• See if you can find a low-cost vet clinic in your area. I would be really worried that it is a sign of some other problem.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Pure pureed pumpkin is good for constipation (and also for diarrhea), but you really need to take the dog to the vet. He/she could be impacted and that could lead to infection and then death!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Our vet told us to give our dogs metamucil when they we're constipated. Just put some(about a teaspoon) in some soft food for them to eat.
    mom23girls541

Answer by mom23girls541 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Treating simple constipation
    These treatment options are for simple constipation only. If the problem lasts for more than five days, or if the stool contains large amounts or mucous or blood, consult with your veterinarian before beginning any treatment.

Use a stool softener. A simple, isolated episode can be treated with a stool softener such as Laxatone, which you can buy at one of the giant pet warehouses, or DSS capsules, which come from your veterinarian. Read and follow the label directions carefully to be sure you do not overdose your dog.

Lubricate. An old remedy for lubricating the colon that is still in use today is mineral oil. Veterinarians usually advise mixing it in with food rather than feeding raw. Be sure and follow dosage instructions to the letter to avoid further complications.
    san78

Answer by san78 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• i got that from a search u shud try it and good luck x
    san78

• i agree with one of the PP- good owners go to the vet and charge it if they cant afford it. i think if he dies because i didnt go to the vet, i would feel horrible. please call and see if they can tell you what to do over the phone. or call local shelter they may be able to tell you what to do. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• My dog (chihuahua) had the same problem and I took him to the vet and found out his anal glands was swollen and full. The vet cleaned them out and he was fine. He told me if he had any more trouble with this to give him a warm bath and pay extra attention to his butt around his O (butt hole).
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 1:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2010