Step Kids

I've been with my guy for 6 months now, and we've set a wedding date (which is in 8 months), well in 3 weeks i'm going to be meeting my future step kids for the first time, there ages are 16, 14, 11, and 8, going on 9. 1 boy and 3 girls. Well i am very nervous about meeting his kids, because i'm not that much older then his oldest. I am 22, my guy is 37. He has already met my son who is 2. He has told his kids about me i just don't know what to expect, i'm nervous as hell, and need some advice. I'm expecting them to not like me because he just recently divoreced there mom. He is so sure that his kids will like me and i know he knows his kids best, but i am really not to sure his kids will. Any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not worry just make sure you and your man have talk at great lentgh about how you are going to raise all the kids (yours and his) as well as what things you dont want your man handling with your son and what things your man does not want you handing with his kids. also you should talk to each other about what you and him are comfy handling with the others kids.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 11:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Good God why did you all wait so long to meet his kids not a good thing. you need some time with them and all kids think their parents are going to get back together so it might be hard look for attitude for sure.
    I agree with zoeyis we got custody of my middle stepson and it put the worst strain on our marriage. If he wouldn't of decided to go back and live with his Mother and we got the youngest stepson then and all was fine we would be divorced now.
    Try and not parent them and looooong before they ever come to stay with you sit down with your SO and figure out what the ground rules will be or they will drive you batty trying to get daddy to do things you don't agree with. GL
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• 1st problem is setting a wedding date with a guy that has kids without ever having met them. They've had zero chance to get to know you before you become a permanent fixture in their every day lives and routines. Hopefully they are nice, cuz it could get bumpy for you.

I had a stepson and I got to know him. We got along fine until he realized I was gonna be marrying his dad and everything changed. Hoo-boy. Lets just say I'm glad he moved out on his own when he did cuz it was putting a strain on my marriage having him around as a young adult being so hostile to everyone.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010