IS it possible to miss twins in a five week ultrasound?

I had an ultrasound at five weeks and it showed only a sac. I think the sac was measuring normal size because they didn't say anything. Is it possible that I could still be having twins? The reason I ask is because I keep having dreams I'm having twins and my son told me even before I was pregnant I was having twins a boy and a girl. (He's three)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Nov. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Sure, it's possible. They are pretty good at it though, so they probably would have seen.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:19 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• could be kids knows things befor we do i had my nicie and she told me i have to see a dr i ask her why and she said babies went and found out i was pregnant and it was twins
    Anonymous

• i don't thing it is...
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• yes it is possible especially if it were identical twins where they are in the same sac.
    Anonymous

• I think an ultrasound that early could miss alot of things....that is extremly early. Most docs don't do them at least till the end of the first trimester that I know of.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:51 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• definitely possible. But if you werent on fertility drugs and they dont run on your side of the family its pretty unlikely. But HEY keep us posted as it progresses. I am curious.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• At this point the only real way that they would be able to tell with them being so tiny is if they saw two heartbeats, and since twins hearts generally beat at the same rhythm (the same theory as is you were to stay skin to skin for 10 + mins with another adult, your heartbeats would sync) there is no way to tell until you are further along and they can actually SEE the second baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:13 AM on Nov. 2, 2008

• usually when u talk about something or think of someone u have a dream that night of that thing or person u was dreaming about.
    Anonymous

• Because I used fertility drugs to conceive, I had very early testing and ultrasounds. We weren't supposed to do an ultrasound until 7 - 7 1/2 weeks, but because my HCG was off the charts my doctor wanted to do it earlier. She could see two sacs by 5 weeks and two babies with heartbeats at 7 weeks. I think your odds of it being twins are lower since the doctor only saw one sac, but your doctor must have suspected something to do an u/s that early. I think it's definitely still possible.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2008