positive test for down syndrome?.help!!

i got tested about two weeks aqo for the genetic test(down syndrome)my blood work came out positive.im rally afraid and i dont know what to do?the dr says it could be a false positive?has this happened to any of u?please i need some advice.

CASPER956

Asked by CASPER956 at 4:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have had 3 kids and I always refused that test. Everyone I knew who got that test done and a false positive came back, their babies were fine. I'm not saying this is always the case, just in my experience. GL!

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 4:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Dont worry! First things first, no matter what, you are blessed to bring a new life into this world. 90% of babies who come up positive on these genetic tests have no abnormalities! Genetic testing is not entirely acurate! This is why there is so much debate with these tests. The worst thing you can do is stress! No matter what you are going to be an awesome mom!!
    sheena.bo.beana

Answer by sheena.bo.beana at 4:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• oh don't worry.. hopefully there won't be any ds.. but if there is.. they are some amazing kids. get to know some moms on here with kids with ds..

having a baby is a blessing. don't let the doctors scare you.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 5:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• if your baby does happen to have ds, just think you can be there for that child every step in life and thats a blessing no matter how hard it seems, just think there are children in this world would just for once in their lives want to have a mommy or daddy be there for them, take ds classes and learn about everything you need to know about ds if your baby does have it good luck and if you do pray pray that God gives you the strength to care and be there for your baby. God bless!!
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 5:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There are lots of false positives. Just be calm and know that you are only given in life what yo can handle. My granddaughter was supposed to be a ds baby and she's fine. Hopefully things will turn out alright but even if they don't make the most of your situation learn all you can and be an advocate for DS
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The rate of false pos is so high! It's any where from 8-59 % depending on what material you are reading. I was warned about false pos and this is why I personally decided against having the test. If maternal age was the reasoning then from what I read your chances of having a child with DS goes up BUT so does the chance of a false pos. False pos or not you have a baby on the way. That alone is reason to celebrate. Read up just in case and if you are considering the amniocentesis to verify make sure you do a lot of research.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I never did such test during my pregnancy. First because if anything like that comes out I would have to worry my whole pregnancy and other than that I would have had my baby regardless!
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I didn't do the test, first because it wouldn't have made a difference and second because they are far from accurate.

That said, breathe. Did your doctor say you should see a genetic specialist? Then I think you have to decide whether or not you want an amniocentisis. The rate of false positives with the CVS is so high, as the other ladies said, try not to worry.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Ugh. These tests create more worry and stress for nothing. If you get a positve result, it doesn't mean your baby is positive for the disorder. I think they need to be more accurate before they become so main stream. Don't worry, enjoy your pregnancy and relax.
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 1:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• It could be a false positive. Try not to worry about it too much before the baby is born. Just make sure you are as emotionally ready as possible if it is. I usually don't do the tests because whether the result is positive or negative, doesn't change the outcome for me. I will still be blessed with a precious child. Of the ones I have done, they were negative, but I am not new to birth defects. My 5 year old son was born visually impaired with small eye and coloboma (like a hole in the eyes). My oldest as well as my 5 year old are on the Autism spectrum which is not a birth defect, but does present challenges. You will love your baby regardless. I've had the pleasure of meeting people with Down's. My uncle has Down's.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2010