Does your family draw names for Christmas?

Do you enjoy it?

Was there any resistance from family members the first year you tried to start this?

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 6:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• I've thought about it but I know the family won't go for it. I was thinking everyone can buy gifts for the kids and then the adults can each pick a name and then buy for that person, with a monetary limit. My husbands side is so big and we but gifts for people that we hardly talk to, I think it's crazy!!..Times are tough right now for alot of us and spending even $200.00 on peope that you don't talk to is foolish, but he says its once a year. I love Christmas, I love giving and receiving gifts like everyone else but there has to be line. I know it would not work for us but I wish it did.
    Sunflower722

Answer by Sunflower722 at 6:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• no we have a small family and the last of the little kids is 11 now so its not as fun as it once was for everyone and with money boeing tight and family spread allover the country, its not that much anymore. We just make it the best we can.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• This will be the first year we are doing Secret Santa with the kids. There are 9 kids ages the oldest is 8,the youngest will only be a few weeks old. So far 7 are doing it, 2 of the babies may not. (the newborn and one will b 7 months). My 8 year old is excited, my 4 month old doesnt have a clue lol. They will b picking on Thanksgiving!

endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 6:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We did do this for several years and now we have stopped because the kids are older and living in different areas of the country. We are not all together anymore for the holiday. There were complaints the first year we tried it, but it was just because people don't like change. It worked out fine.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We started doing this once all the kids were older and even started having kids of their own lol Our family was just getting too damn big to buy for EVERYONE. The first couple of years seemed pointless because you had people who still bought for someone else rather than the person they picked, but it caught on eventually! Definitely a money saver!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My extended family on my mom's side did it for a couple of years when great-grandkids started being added, on top of the spouses of cousins and whatnot; it just got to be too much. Every adult drew a name, except Grandma -- Grandma and kids got presents from everyone. No resistance. Then after two years of that, we scrapped it altogether, and now only Grandma and kids get presents, and no one's upset.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The best Christmas exchange I've heard came from a friends family. Each family has to make a home make gift to give each family. (Usually the same item for everyone) It can be anything from baked goods, to crafts, to art or poetry. One person likes to work with wood. The idea is to use your imagination and creativity. It's usually very inexpensive, and I love to see her gifts.
    MarianneTv

Answer by MarianneTv at 9:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nope we tried it once but for whatever reason it never worked out
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• nope
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 6:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010