Could you shoot to kill?

My husband took a course on "Carrying a consield weapon", he was told that if an intruder enters your home you'd better shoot to kill them not just wound them! Reason being that if you just hurt them, they can literally suit you.! Crazy I know, makes no sense to me but I guess it's true.A few months ago, someone was beating on our back door,sounded like the walls were caving in, of course my husb. wasn't home, I was scared to death!! I'm wondering if you know for a fact you could kill someone for breaking in your home? Weird question, just curious!Dont even know what category to list it under?

anichols1

Asked by anichols1 at 6:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Don't you LOVE how someone can be breaking into your home--commiting a crime, but if you defend your place and just try to injure them, the can sue you???

But to anwer your question, yes, I could. I was raises around guns all my life. I was taught to respect them, and how to use them. I'm a damned good shot (better than my DH).
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:47 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My kids are in my home. I may not be happy I had to shoot to kill, but I would for my kids.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 6:42 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• In the right situation I would. Kill or be killed, then ya, or save the life of someone I love, absolutely.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:29 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes! it took only one time of being alone with an unloaded shot gun to help me make up my mind. I was stalked ..they always knew when my husband wasn't home. We were out of city limits and the sherrifs department said it would be 45 mins before they could get there.
    I learned how to handle a little snub nose 38 and practice with it too! I pull it out when my husband is out of town. It gets unloaded in the morning and locke up. My kids know I have it and but don't know where it is locked up. I keep the ammo in a different place also.
    I am no longer afraid bc there is a plan to deal with the situation if it happens.
    karensue65

Answer by karensue65 at 6:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I could with no problem, but you have to be careful on where you live and what the laws are. Here is Texas it is a "castle doctrine" meaning you can defend your property and have the right to hurt someone who is not welcome. However, in other states there are laws that say you must flee your home and cannot defend yourself if you have the ability to flee...just saying in case someone didn't know that.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If I had a loaded gun and could determine it was an intruder, I would of course draw that weapon. I'd avoid shooting but if I had to, I would.

And yeah...this probably isn't the right category for this.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 6:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I was asked that question when I was in ROTC in college...I signed a paper saying that NO I could not shoot to kill under any circumstances. Well, they had a name for it and said that I would never be called by the recruiters...which was fine with me. However, now that I am older and I have children...I would definitely be able to shoot to kill if someone was trying to break into my home with my children in it. My hubby is actually going to take me to shooting classes so that I know how to properly use the gun.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I could. I have no issues with killing or death.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Heck yes I could if I thought that my life or my children are in danger.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes... If is an intruder you don't know how far he-she would go...unfortunately wrong decisions can end a life!

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2010