My week old daughter sleeps all day and is up all night. ANY tips what I can do?

This is my fourth child and never had a problem with days and nights, even with twins. Bath day helps a bit but even that is only a small help. Since I have two 3 year olds I can not nap during the day so I am feeling a bit helpless!!!

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always woke mine up during the day at least every 3 hours to eat, then let them sleep as long as they would at night. Also, exposing her to natural light even if it's just sitting by the window helps. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 7:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Every child is different, and at a week old they are still adjusting the life outside of your belly. I know with all 3 of my pregnancies (i am currently 20 weeks right now), my babies would sleep in there during the day and be a big bundle of energy and kick the crap out of me at night when im trying to sleep lol Simply because I was so active during the day and it lulled them to sleep. May sound silly but maybe your newborn is just still stuck on that routine. You could TRY to keep her up more during the day if you want, but I don't see it going too well. If a new born wants to sleep, then they will sleep regardless..and it's because they need it. Good luck! I know with time it will get easier
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• well, thats a difficult one but the only thing i'd suggest is that you make a program to take a nap with the baby and the other 3 children. maybe after a meal or snack during the day. or better still let your hubby watch baby upto midnigth and change shifts then, by that tym you would have had a lil' sleep. I feel for you my dear, i had the same problem, luckly my mum took over in the morning and let me sleep upto 10am. don't worry it will soon pass.
    tozytindo

Answer by tozytindo at 7:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my daughter is the same way but just because i stay up with her--my husband works night shift so i stay up till he comes home..but when ever he dosnt work grave yard she sleeps during the night --eaven in the days when i take a nap she takes it with me -- i layed her with me and pum!!! she falls sleep with me she always been like this since she was born..she's 7 months know-- maybe you could try to bath her and feed her after the bath ..also if she trys to sleep during the day try to wake her up..but she only 1 week so with time she get her sleepin time but ofcourse you already know this..good luck
    Genesis29

Answer by Genesis29 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If at all possible see if someone in your church or family might be willing to come for an hour or two (or more!) to help give YOU some sleep time. I would be more concerned with THAT right now....YOU have to be on top of your game for the baby much less your twins. When I had my last one, I was insanely exhausted from 5 DAYS of labor and thought I was going to go insane. I had a couple of kids from a family at church who were home schooled ages 13 and 14 who volunteered to come help me. THEY WERE A GODSEND!! They were the oldest of 8 and the first day they were there for the entire day, kept my 18 mo old busy and happy. Took turns with my newborn changing her and bringing her in my room to nurse and whisked her right back out when she was done, cleaned my house, did our Mt St. Hellen of laundry - folded and put away, made up several meals and froze for future use all in ONE DAY! I was flabbergasted! They continued to come
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• every day for about 2 mos and then once or twice a week for another couple mos and then a couple times a month. They were truly a life saver for our family and I still thank God for those girls!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my friend had this problem with her baby and the doc told her from 5-9 pm keep the baby up..meaning not letting the baby get in too a deep sleep so gently rub her back,talk to her,whatever to keep her out of that deep sleep. you need to get some nap time to mama..somedays I just could not do it and needed a nap so I would put a movie on a cuddle with the kids and sneak that nap in..good luck!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 1:08 AM on Nov. 9, 2010