Are movie tickets too high?

The are nearly as much as a DVD itself that you can watch whenever you want.

Was gonna take the boys to a movie today (schools out) but its gonna cost me nearly $30. OMG! And its one of the few fun activities around here to do.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I go to the local second run theater, or the first matinee on weekends. Evening tickets here are reDONKulous - $10.75 each! The first matinee every morning is $5.50.

If I go to the local second run, it's $3 and they have $1 hot dogs.

I'f I'm going to pay $30-40 dollars to see a movie in the theater, that better include a hot stud to give me a hand and shoulder massage and feed me popcorn.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• i think they are, but what pisses me off more is the extra cost to 'rent' 3D glasses. you have to rent them, so its an involuntary add-on to the price of the ticket. i mean, for 2.50-3.00 you could buy your own, and keep them, right? but they won't let you bring in your own, and like i said, you HAVE to rent them...to see every movie that comes out. more and more, the kids-movies are coming out in 3D, so you have no choice, as very few theatres show the non-3D versions.
    that's my soapbox as of the last two years. LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• When we are in an economic slump and a family of 4 can't even afford the matinee price tp see a movie, there is a problem.
    MarianneTv

Answer by MarianneTv at 8:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes. We can't just run to the movies like we used too. 30.00 bucks or more for a family of 4 without popcorn and drinks! The food is even higher! The deal with the extra charge for the 3D glasses is crazy too! Then they want you to recycle them as you leave!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 9:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I can't watch 3-D movies. They give me a migraine. But even still, going to a movie is definitely expensive. It's cheaper to let my boys go to a jump house for an hour.
    bubsiclesmom

Answer by bubsiclesmom at 9:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh yes, and if you think about it it's not worth it at all. As you said you have to pay for each person to get in not to mention gas or carfare, then there is the popcorn and other snacks that would cost you 1/3 the price going to the market or just ordering some Chinese or pizza and to top it fop it off there are rude people that make it impossible to enjoy the movie due to cell calls, loud conversations and my personal favorite, bringing an infant that is way too young to even watch the movie and does nothing but cry or whine through out the picture. . Give me a DVD and a delivery any day and I will happily sit on my sofa in my pj's
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yep! I was pissed the other day i had set up a play date with someone to take our kids to mcdonalds to play and she called and said she wanted to go to the movies instead to see megamind...i was like "nope, wasnt part of OUR plans"..sorry, but i'm not about to spend $30.00 at the theater. I pay 18.00 a month and get watch all the movies i want from netflix...i can wait for megamind to come out through them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes, at most theaters (Carmike, Regal, etc). So we don't go to those. But we have a little theater in town (2 screens) that still gets all the new releases and is only $3 per person ($2 on Tuesdays) for the tickets and the popcorn and drinks are reasonably priced as well. So that's where we go now. For 4 of us to see a movie, with popcorn and drinks it runs around $20 now. Much more affordable than the $50 my husband spent the last time he took the two oldest to the Carmike.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes!! If the five of us went and did not get snacks it would still be $35-40. With snacks, sheesh. In the summer and spring, we go to the drive in and that costs less than $20 to see two movies. If it's a big ticket movie like Toy Story 3 or Despicable me and we have enough money we'll go. Movies are definitely not part of our regular family entertainment! Especially since that movie will be on Red Box in a few months for a dollar. What's the difference between seeing it now and in a few months? It's the same movie! I sound cheap. Wow.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yes, WAY too much!!!!
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:22 AM on Nov. 8, 2010