What went wrong with my pumpkin bread?

I am not much of a baker, more of a cook personally.. but this weekend I made pumpkin bread from our halloween pumpkin..I used the recipe from my betty crocker handbook and followed it exactly... It said to cook it at 350 for 50-60 minutes.. I left it in that long and the tops were still pale colored and I was expecting a nice brown shade.. so I left it in longer.. and let it cook for about 20 minutes longer.. I took it out and let it cool on the counter like suggested.. this morning I cut it open and the insides are like playdough.. what the heck is wrong with it?

MamaJasmine

Asked by MamaJasmine at 8:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Did the recipe call for baking powder? If it did, it could be that your baking powder was past the expiration date.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• maybe the oven was too hot?
    ariesmom20

Answer by ariesmom20 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Not sure but I know larger halloween jack-o-lantern sized pumpkins aren't meant for cooking/baking...only the smaller ones, perhaps that had something to do with it
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Only the small ones, called pie pumpkins, are good for cooking. The consistency of larger ones isn't consistent! Sorry you had this problem. Does it taste ok? If so, then scoop it into pretty glasses and top with whipped cream, and it will be sine.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oops....I was thinking you were making a pie...forget the last sentence!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• it still tastes good.. I hope it is safe to eat. I was worried it didn't cook through. The pumpkin was a medium sized pumpkin.. too small for carving, but slightly larger than the pumpkins I normally cook with.
    MamaJasmine

Comment by MamaJasmine (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• You can't cook with a jack-o-lantern pumpkin - the water content is higher, and really affects the outcome of baked goods. Also, some breads just don't bake well in a regular loaf - if you want to try it again, make it in mini-loaf pans, or muffins - I cannot ever bake a regular size loaf of any bread - the outside burns and inside stays gummy no matter how I adjust the temp/time. Mini-loaves are the way to go! Plus they don't have to bake as long!
    Anonymous

• okay I made 6 loaves in the afternoon using a different recipe and all the same pumpkin, and baking soda and the sort. Only changes being the actual recipe and I used wholewheat flour instead this time.. I am thinking that since this time it came out absolutely perfect (enough to call my MIL and offer her a loaf) that it was a pure recipe thing.. I am never using the betty crocker one again that is for sure!
    MamaJasmine

Comment by MamaJasmine (original poster) at 5:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2010