Should we allow boys to use the girls' bathrooms

A proposal by the Maine Human Rights Commission to establish a broad right for "transgender" boys to use girls restrooms in all Maine schools will be the subject of a public hearing scheduled by the commission March 1.

The plan, if given ultimate approval by the commission, will establish mandatory transgender restroom access rules for all Maine schools. The proposal was prompted by a decision last year that found a school in Orono, Asa Adams School, discriminated against a boy by denying him access to the girls' restroom.

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• just because they identify with another gender shouldn't mean they go to those bathrooms. The sex is the same and I think that many girls would feel uncomfortable with it. I agree with the others also that non-transgender boys may use it to gain access. I think the idea of a vote may be good, but what about the girls that didn't vote for it? Maybe they should have girls, boys, and then a private, single bathroom that anyone can use. I don't know the answer. It's a hard case. Just too much PC going on.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:12 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• This is so tough. I feel for these kids because they truly feel that they are the wrong sex. But if we start letting boys use the girls bathroom because they say they are transgender, what's stopping non-transgender boys from claiming they are too just to get into the girls bathroom. I am going to have to say that as long as they have boy equipment, they need to keep using the boys room and vice versa.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• what's stopping non-transgender boys from claiming they are too just to get into the girls bathroom

The non-stop emotional and physical abuse from their peers and adults who think they're "sinning" and will torture them for it. It's not something any kid would volunteer for, especially not for a chance to see the tampon machine.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yeah I had the same question, what's to stop some pervy teenage boy from saying he is just to get access to the girl's b-room. what's next? letting them in the girl's locker room as they change clothes? IDK this is a slippy slope.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• At a school age when little girls will be in the bathroom also, no way. That is going to cause problems. I don't care how old the kids are. Sounds like PC gone awry and a lawsuit waiting to happen. At the same time, though, if its empty and ya gotta go, go! Bottom line though, boys need their bathrooms and girls need theirs.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No way - not at a school. My thoughts were EXACTLY what other posted - what keeps the non-transgendered boys from going in the girls' bathrooms? The schools could "say" they would watch out for this, but ultimately they would lapse because they don't have enough staff or enough time or whatever to "police" the bathrooms and then what? Something bad is gonna happen. The difference is when boys go with their mothers in PUBLIC. Trust me - I have a boy who has gone in with me every time!! But not at school. A possible compromise would be to have a separate bathroom - a "unisex" bathroom for those people who are uncomfortable with using a boy/girl bathroom. Why do they have to bring so much drama to it? Sounds like a simple fix to me.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think they should either use the boy's bathroom (after all, the plumbing is the same) or have a unisex bathroom. Boys of any kind do not belong in the girls' bathroom.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Personally, for the comfort of the other children, I think that boys should go into the boys bathroom, and girls into the girls bathroom. I know as a little girl, I would have been very uncomfortable with a boy being in the bathroom (transgender or not).
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• OP, I'll just say this. If the bathroom is empty and you gotta go bad enough, USE IT. I've done when the women's line was too long and I was about to burst. Yell at me later, but I gotta go pee now! lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think it's ok 2 let 'little' boys use the girls room 'with mommy'. I'm not 2 sure what the cut off age should b!! As far as when they r small I think they should 'cuz of petifiles. My mom always told - "protect ur children - ur the only 1 that will!"
    YoMomma77

Answer by YoMomma77 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010