Shortest 'suspension' ever?

Yep old thrill up his leg is already back..Wonder what Juan thinks?

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 8:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL. I don't really care if he's back because I don't watch him. He has low ratings for his time slot and I think MSNBC thinks they will see a jump in viewership in the next week so that people will tune in to watch and see what he says next. I wasn't interested in what he said before, I'm certainly not interested in what he says now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Translation: we called his bluff in our negotiations leading up to our potential sale of the network to Comcast and now that he knows his place we'll let him back on air.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I thought he should receive some kind of disciplinary action since he knew their policy and violated it, however I question whether firing him would be excessive. Especially since I don't think they should have the policy, particularly for a commentator. I do respect that they suspended him in order to follow their policy, and that they even have that policy to begin with in attempt to avoid conflicts of interest. It definitely separates them from other news channels IMO. I think a SHORT suspension is adequate disciplinary action. It's not like a gave them a million dollars.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• He was asked to apologize and refused? So, that's why he was suspended I guess his fans that complained had a lot to say in getting him back. Money vs ethics. not a hard choice to make I guess.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I question whether firing him would be excessive. Especially since I don't think they should have the policy, particularly for a commentator.

I've seen the argument going all weekend about whether that's a "journalistic" policy and whether or not commentators are journalists. When NBC reported on it this morning, I thought it was interesting they didn't say policy for all NBC journalists, they said for all NBC employees. In which case, it makes more sense, and it makes all the bickering over whether he should be included sound a lot more like a publicity stunt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:07 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• lol....

Its the BOSS' decision, his contract is with them not me.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• "After several days of deliberation and discussion, I have determined that suspending Keith through and including Monday night's program is an appropriate punishment for his violation of our policy," Griffin said in a statement. "We look forward to having him back on the air Tuesday night."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101108/cm_yblog_upshot/keith-olbermann-returns-to-msnbc-on-tuesday

tnmomofive

Comment by tnmomofive (original poster) at 8:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• *he
    pam19

• I still question whether they should have the policy myself, because I think all citizens should be able to donate as long as they give full disclosure if they could have a conflict of interest (in the case of journalists or heads of news organizations). If it's a policy for ALL their employees and not just those they consider journalists, then it's probably a FAIR policy to have. MSNBC has allowed other employees to make donations, but they ask to know about it in advance to watch for conflicts of interests. That's where Olbermann messed up, he knew the policy and didn't tell them in advance. He should be in trouble for it, but it's not for me to decide whether that should be a day, a week, etc.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I could care less...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 10:29 AM on Nov. 8, 2010