What do you think about...

School suspensions? Are they effective or just give the kid a day off and maybe inconvenience a parent's work schedule?

Personally I don't think they do diddly.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in

• I never saw a point to them. The kids that got them didn't care and usually their parents weren't around (working) or didn't care either.  I know if my kid ever got suspended I'd be putting them to work the entire time they would have been in school.

At my high school full on suspension was rare and a last resort before expulsion but it was a Catholic school so the parents were paying tuition and the kids usually didn't get that far without parents cracking down on them.  There was lunch detention, after school dentention and then the dreaded Saturday jug where they put you to work cleaning the school for 6 hours on a Saturday.  After that was in school suspension which was the same as the jug but you missed class and still had to make up the work.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree. I'm a huge fan of hard labor as punishment! LOL

In high school (back in the dinosaur days) we had a great English teacher whose second job was as a cemetery keeper. When kids would act up in class or consistently not do homework they were given a Saturday detention (with their parents' blessings). They spent the day with Dr. Weir weeding, raking and doing a lot of chatting. I know a handful of people whose lives were turned around by the extra care that dear man took to get to know his students and figure out how to help them become better students/citizens.

I live in a coastal town, and I've always thought that it would be great to have kids clean the beaches rather than sit in a classroom dozing or doodling.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 8:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• the one time i was suspended, it was in-school. me and about 4 other kids were in this tiny room with stacks of assignments from our teachers. i got in more trouble there cause my bf was there with me and we held hands on the way to the lunchroom. had the assist. principle get my face for it and pushed him into the wall. don't want no fat man with bad breath in my face. the school admin was afraid of my dad so i got away with it.

so no, lol, i don't think it works.

nowadays, the school system has this building on campus of the jr high that it sends suspended students from all schools in the parish to, and if you mess up there, you go to jail.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• community service (cleaning up the sides of roads, beaches, etc) sounds like a great idea to me, aswell, as long as the punishment fits the crime and we know for a fact that they actually did something to get punished for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010