Should a parent's embarrassment outweigh a child's comfort?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:52 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• in what specific situation? give an example
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 8:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• no, but it really depends what we're talking about. If the child is doing something that going to get them teased and they aren't mature enough to see they are making a fool of themselves or see that people are laughing at them, then ya its only right the parent steps in to protect their child in those rare cases.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:54 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Depends on the situation. You'll need to be more specific.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If your child wants to wear something "inappropriate" like dress up clothes to the grocery store or doesn't want to leave the house without a certain toy.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• They're only kids once. I pretty much would let them wear what they want. I might give them advisement of - that doesn't really match, but if that's what you want to wear, no prob. But if they wanted to wear the full batman get up or somethng like that, I don't really care. I'm not much into worrying about what other people think of me, especially in situations where I don't know the people and probably never will. I would be much more embarassed if my kids had bad manners in public. However, if they want to wear something whacky, and they're generally good kids, no biggie.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would let them wear dress-up clothes to the grocery store as long as it's weather appropriate or the child wore a jacket over it if the weather was cold.

If they wanted to bring a certain toy with them as long as they could carry it that would be fine too. All my kids had loveys and I let them carry them everywhere.

My eldest had a really ugly doll that she loved to death and she took it everywhere and when it lost a leg Dh and I privately named the doll "Peg" LOL. She is 14 yrs old now and hasn't carried that doll around in years but I still have it tucked in a memory box, seeing the doll brings back so many cherished memories that I wouldn't give up for anything.

Life is too short to worry what others think, and childhood is even shorter. Always do what makes you and your child happy. :-)
    Anonymous5

Answer by Anonymous5 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my embarrassment? why would i be embarrassed at something my child does that is completely age-appropriate? as long as its not because i am the one at fault (ie: not disciplining his bad behavior in a public place), there is no embarrassment or discomfort for either of us.
    playing dress-up or carrying that favorite toy everywhere he goes is just part of the joy of watching him be a child. i think a lot of parents forget how fast the time goes, and do not savor the sweetness of their child's innocent behavior.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• In the examples you have given I don't see embarassment. My kids would go to the grocery store in dress up clothes or pick out their own outfits when they were little and we always had a special toy in tow. Now, my girls are older and they still dress differently from the way I do, but it's age appropriate (and nothing is "hanging out" that shouldn't be). Getting embarassed by something that is just a factor of your child's age is silly.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I'm a "don't sweat the small stuff" kind of mom. If my kids want to wear pj's to the grocery store or something like that it doesn't bother me. Honestly to me there are bigger fish to fry and I see no need to be embarrassed about that sort of thing. My 13 month has a paci and blankie that go everywhere we do. If it helps her make it through the trip, it only helps me.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If someone (a stranger) is rude enough to verbally pass judgement on your flamboyantly dressed child or a strange toy s/he might be carrying, a smile and one simple comment sould suffice: "We're teaching our child to think for him/herself."
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:30 AM on Nov. 8, 2010