Do you give your child an allowance?

honesty33

Asked by honesty33 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I do but not so much in the for of real money. We made a poster piggy bank and some fake coins to stick in there every time he does something. He gets prizes or other things based on the amount of coins he gets. and if he breaks 3 rules like; lying, talking back, fighting with siblings, ect. then he gets coins taken back until he can show that he has thought about it and works things out
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 9:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Not yet, my ds loses money easily and my dd would probably eat it!!! LOL
    newmom28

Answer by newmom28 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No allowances here. They should help around the house as part of being in our family. However, we do pay them a few dollars when they help with big out of the norm projects (like when we had yards of mulch delivered and it needed to be put all over our yard). I think if I pay my kid to clean up, what's the incentive for him to do it when he's on his own?
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• In middle school I was given $3 per week IF I completed household chores to my parents' satisfaction. I had to use MY money if I wanted something outside of normal school clothes and supplies. I grew up knowing my parents would always provide for my "needs," but that I had to handle all my "wants." I'll do the same when my kids are middle school age.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We don't give our kids an allowance, because helping each other and the family is all part of being a team. But they do get rewarded on occasion for exceptional behavior - doing things without being asked, being generously kind with each other, helping out with other chores other than basic ones. We don't bribe them "if you do this you'll get that" it's always a surprise for them so they don't just do things to get things.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If they do chores. All I ask is they clean their room. I get paid every two weeks. If they clean it for that day they get paid for that day. When they get older they will have more. I think it is good to teach them the value of money.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Yep, I allow them to live in my house, eat my food, use my soap, heat, electricty, water etc. They are part of a family, we pull together. I give cash for extras that were not asked of them, such as cleaning out the car etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Nope I just give her my credit card. She is 17. My 18 year old daughter has my american express at college and my son at college has his own money he made from a summer job. (he never wants or needs anything)
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I love everyones answers..and i try an allowance and one child neva wants to do ne thin but expects money...and i like the piggy bank idea for my little one...so many great answers ..thank you  ladies

honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010