Does he get it? Obama on 60 minutes admits campaigning without thinking about how he would impliment his promises?

Obama: That's one of the dangers of assuming power. And you know, when you're campaigning, you, I think you're liberated to say things without thinking about, "Okay, how am I gonna actually practically implement this."

Did you realize this when he was campaigning?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 8:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That must have been what the 'hope' part of his slogan was all about. I never bought that he would be able to do anything because he isn't a deal closer or decision maker. All I needed was his voting record (a large number of his votes were 'present' and not up or down) to know all I needed to know about his leadership skills. No thanks. Hope is not a strategy.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Without approval from Congress, he can't do squat, and vice versa.

I think for some of us that's the whole point.  He had it all.  He had a super majority and I for one and thankful that he wasn't able to do more damage than he already did.  To take Bush's eff ups, multiply them and then try to feed us a line about how it's going to save our country is complete BS.  He is inexperienced and ill equipped for the job voters gave him. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• if people didn't know the truth behind his statement no matter who is in office then they shouldn't vote. most of the people who voted for obama knew that he was not going to be able to change the country in 4 years. it's the peole who didn't vote for him that make a big deal about it. it's a known fact in politics, hell bush said he was going to kep the deficit low in 2000. 8 years later it was the highest it's ever been. if you put unreasonable expectations on anyone (not just a politician) then it's your own fault when you're dissapointed.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 9:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I don't think anyone that isn't an Obama supporter thought he would be able to change anything at all (at least not for the good). I read what he wanted to change and every time he had an idea it added up to lots of $$$$$$$$$$. Money we didn't have. I don't know anyone that has successfully spent their way out of debt. I have known people that have declared bankruptcy because of their careless spending though. I just didn't count on him throwing money at problems as a solution. It certainly didn't work when Bush did it, what would make one think that it would work just because the idea came from Obama? I just didn't count on so many stimulus type bills being passed for the sake of his special interests. I'm glad that we have more balance in DC. He wasn't on the road to recovery before and hopefully Republicans can slow this car down because I'm pretty sure we are heading down a dead end street.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Even with a super majority, the Pres does not have free reign. Remember his hands are tied by all those special groups to which he is indebted. Our political structure and elections process very much shape and determine what, how, and in whose favor decisions will be made.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think for some of us that's the whole point. He had it all. He had a super majority and I for one and thankful that he wasn't able to do more damage than he already did. To take Bush's eff ups, multiply them and then try to feed us a line about how it's going to save our country is complete BS. He is inexperienced and ill equipped for the job voters gave him.

BEST ANSWER!!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I actually hand it to him for admitting what every other politician is too scared to admit they also do.
    No one can make those promises. The President is not a monarch who makes unilateral decsions. Without approval from Congress, he can't do squat, and vice versa.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• What Quinn said..

hey did Biden and Palin run together...what did I miss?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I judged him on what he had done and what he said.

I have talked to people who love Obama and know NOT A DAM THING ABOUT HIM, I don't see how people can vote for someone that will "change" your live the way you know it and not bother to study him!

By the way with both parties being the same I would say McCain would of been the same, he would taken he's time and not spend as fast as Obama!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think he got in over his head. I think he thought it would be easy to undo the "damage" of previous administrations. Now he's in a job that he's ill-equipped for and he may not want to admit it.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010