Should a preschooler boy wear a dress?

After the little boy dressed up as Daphne for Halloween, I'm sure you've seen on the news, but some moms are coming forward to explain their reasoning why they allow their sons to wear dresses and swap other gender role norms such as playing with dolls, call themselves princesses etc. I am staying neutrual. I would just like you to weigh in and let me know what ya'll think!

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Out...no. I think its setting him up to bullying and possibly being beat up. All are not going to be tolerant of that choice like Mom or Dad are. Sad but true.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My preschooler would throw on pink clothes, or girly things when he was playing dress up. Both of my sons LOVED wearing all my shoes in my closet. I didn't worry a thing about it. Now they are older, and guess what - they're not preschoolers, they grew out of it, just like anything else they were into when they were little. They don't really care for Pokemon cards either. They don't watch PBS Kids anymore. They hang out with their friends, and do other age appropriate things. They are regular kids.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Dress up is one thing, but not in public. It's just setting the child up for disaster - people (especially kids) are cruel. Why would you submit your child to that if you can avoid it?
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My now almost 20 year old used to be dressed in a pink tutu when I picked him up from daycare. I finally HAD to say to the teacher, I don't care if he plays dress-up, but could you please get that off of him by the time I come??? and I started arriving about 15 minutes later on purpose. LOL. It bothered me but I work in a PreK/daycare now and it doesn't bother me when I see all the boys doing such things.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• NO
    insomnia

Answer by insomnia at 9:24 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Why is everyone making a big deal about it? I don't want to make another mom mad, this is my opinion. He is only 5 years old. So he wants to dress up as Daphne or a princess boy, who cares. It doesn't mean he is gay, he is just expressing himself. He is a little boy just being a little boy and having fun. So what if he decides he is gay when he grows up, it wouldn't be b/c he dressed up in girly clothes. Some boys plays w/ dolls when they are little too. That doesn't make them gay. The mom said the kids and teachers didn't even bully him. It was the parents that made a big deal about it. If kids start to bully him then maybe he will decide not to dress girly anymore. There are worse things to worry about in the world than this! Like drugs, gangs, terrorism, economy/jobs, cyber bullying...etc...
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 9:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with any of it. It is normal & natural for ALL children to explore different characters, roles, feelings etc. through play, dress-up & other imaginative & creative ways. This is how thye learn about, undestand & deal with the world. I'm always flattered when he pretends to be me. Just like I'm proud when he pretends to be his dad.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Playing dress up at home with his sister, yes. But honestly he never has wanted to wear it out because he says they are girl clothes. I guess I don't think it's a big deal.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Society has such a double standard! why is it okay for little girls to play with trucks, and gi joes, and even play in the mud, but if a boy wants to play house, wear a dress, or have a tea party it is so wrong? I believe a child should be allowed to explore ALL pretend play, and people just need to stop being gender biased.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 11:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would let my sons if that is what they wanted to do.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010