Cooking a turkey for the first time!

I'm hosting my first ever turkey day at my house and have NEVER cooked a turkey before! Can anyone direct me to some good websites where they've actually followed the directions and had a good result?

HELP! I've never even cooked a whole chicken before, so I'm a rookie and need baby steps! lol

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 9:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• piece of cake (or turkey!) just read the directions or look up on computer. just DON'T forget to take out the bag of gizzards!! been there did that!!
    granmababe

Answer by granmababe at 9:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Turkeys need very little to come out good. Thaw it overnight in your sink. put in cold water and change the water out every few hrs. In the AM,pat it dry,rub with veg oil,season if you want,stuff if you want,and put it breast side up in the roaster. Follow the directions in the bag for cook times per lbs. Cover lightly with foil. What I do is once the timer pops up,I remove the foil and cook another half hr. The hardest thing is not peeking in on it all the time! They don't need to be basted,that makes the cook time longer because you're lowering the oven temp everytime you open the door.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Butterball online is good BTW

• It's safest and easiest to thaw in refrigerator, usually 1-3 days, depending on the size you get. There is usually a chart on the turkey when you buy it. I use a Reynold's oven bag (found in the grocery near the plastic bags or aluminum foil. It is so easy. Directions are on the package. Here's a web site also http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/turkey-in-a-bag/Detail.aspx

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Just rinse your defrosted bird defrost the day before completly..then pat dry take softened butter and smear it on the outside and make a salt and pepper and poultry seasoning rub and rub that on the bird in all the nooks and cranny's salt and pepper the inside after all giblets are removed put it in the roasting pan follow roasting directions cover with tin foil until about the last hr. then uncover and continue baking.. my 1st was a total success GL
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Alton Brown on food network has great step by step instructions. Look at a few of those and see what looks good. You can do it. Thats what I did when I cooked my first turkey. Don't forget the gizzards and such inside the bird --they are in a bag--and thaw it as best you can inside the fridge. Good luck!
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:44 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I gave you a bump...you are a brave one...I take the easy route and bake the boneless all white Butterball turkey breasts for our Thanksgiving when I host at my house. So much easier and doesn't tie up your oven as I put them in the crock pots. Much easier and less waste as not many family members eat the dark meat. Good Luck to you!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 3:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• The first time my Dad cooked a turkey for us after him and my Mom got divorced, he used one of those oven bags. It turned out so tender! I also agree with the others...butterball online has great tips!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2010