10 year old boy and women's bathrooms

My son is 10 and HATES when I make him use the women's bathroom when it is just us. He thinks he is old enough to use the men's, but I disagree. The thought of some creepy guy in there watching my son while he uses a urinal...ugh! Yet I don't like making him uncomfortable. How do you handle this touchy subject?

mama2000_1

Asked by mama2000_1 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I let my eight year old go in the men's room, but I wait outside in the hall. Tell him to use a stall to pee if there are other people in there.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My son is 9 and I usually let him go into the mens room now. I think it would depend on where we were. I get more worried about him coming out of the bathroom and us not finding each other. If you're worried about weirdos watching have him go into the stall.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Let him use the mens, they have stalls just like the womens.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my son is only 5 and he's already wanting to use the men's..but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. i have walked into the mens just to check it out before, and saw there were others in there..i thought i might let him try it, but nope.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think that 10 is plenty old enough to use the mens room. My son is 7yrs old and he uses the mens restroom. I just stand by the door and wait for him.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• How big a men's room are you worried about? McDonalds with maybe 3 stalls at most, or a major international airport with entrances on both sides? You've got to let him grow up at some point. If he is comfortable he should be fine. He has been peeing without you for years.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would tell him to use the stalls my 8 yr old has been using the mens room since he was 6
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:35 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• my son is 9 and i only let him go if I stand outside and wait for him and i tell him to use a stall so he can lock the door.
    sweet_mamaof3

Answer by sweet_mamaof3 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Does your husband make your 10 year old daughter use the Men's room?
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I let my 9 yr old and my 8 yr old use the men's bathroom. they go into the stalls. i wait for them outside and i tell them everytime not to talk to anyone and they listen.
    jbcmom

Answer by jbcmom at 9:48 AM on Nov. 8, 2010