Working and sick elementary kids????

I am hopefully going back to work after 10 yrs of staying home. (I have worked intermittently to help pay bills, but this time Im going back perm). My question is to you moms with Elem. and middle schoolers, what do you when you kids are sick? They are too old really for daycare (9 and 11), but still too young t stay by themselves. Hubby and Iboth work 30 to 45 mins from home. Any suggestions?????

ZachnKenzisMom

Asked by ZachnKenzisMom at 9:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Nothing you can do you have to stay home from work..9 and 11 isn't too old for daycare if a child is under 12 it's illegal to leave them home alone for any amount of time.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I wasnt planning on leaving them at home, was just asking for suggestions as to back up. I CANT stay home at this point, things are way to critical. Hubby's job is in serious jepardy due to downsizing, so i HAVE to go back to help pick up the slack of a 22,000.00 pay cut. I have no intentions of leaving my children alone, was just asking how other parents do it and what their back up plans were.
    ZachnKenzisMom

Comment by ZachnKenzisMom (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• They're not too old for daycare, but most daycares will not keep them when they are sick. My husband and I take turns staying home with our kids (ages 3 and 8) when they are sick. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to school/daycare, and it is not a problem.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• If you have family nearby (I don't) or a neighbor that will pick them up and watch them; that is probably your best option. Otherwise, you or your husband will probably have to take time off of work.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thank you andrea96. With you guys changing on and off, does it start to bother your employer? or did you stae upfront that this is what was going to happen?
    ZachnKenzisMom

Comment by ZachnKenzisMom (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No family here and the famiy I do have (MIL), well, let's just say that that will not be an option. I may have one or two friends I can depend on. Thank you for letting me vent my fears.
    ZachnKenzisMom

Comment by ZachnKenzisMom (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My workplace is very family-friendly. My manager does not even make me count it as time off. I work from home if I stay home with my oldest, but I usually can't if I am home with my 3-year-old, except during nap time.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• you might look into home healthcare....there was a sick kids healthcare ...when we were stationed in Oklahoma...its a pretty good idea, a nurse comes into your home and watches your child.....I assume they bill your health insurance....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• My husband and I both work for the same company and our company has NOW implemented a family friendly environment. In the beginning, it was hard to take off from work without having problems with my ex-supervisor but over the years things have changed. Although my company is lenient, I don't take advantage of it at all. If one of my younger kids are sick, I will usually call in a standby friend, or one of my other children to take care of my child, until I can come home or so I can go to work but if not, I'll work half a day and my husband will work the other half so we can be home with our children...In my area, I don't know too many daycares that will take a child that's sick and if there are , the fees are really high and would you really want your child somewhere with someone who you don't know while they are sick? and to flip it, would you want a sick child around your child? Hope you find a solution...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2010