What does "friendship" mean to you?

It seems the definition of this has changed over time. I have friends that I have gone out of my way to help every chance I had... I've babysat, gave them rides, lent money, fed, gave baby stuff when my kids didn't use it anymore.. yet today I need a favor.. just an extra set of hands cause I have to take both boys for checkups and there's only one of me.. okay I don't "need" it but it would be nice ya know.. and I can't even get a response out of people. Not even a "no." This isn't the first time. I guess I'll just stop doing favors too. I'm tired of being the go-to chick for shit people need and not getting a damn thing when I need something. I feel used, like I'm here for everyone else but no one for me. I thought friendship was give & take.

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Relationships

• that is how friendship "should" be give and take... goes to show who your real friends are.. sorry that it's taken this but i think something happens and that is how we figure people out.. as you say i too would stop being the go to chic.. i have been in your shoes and it's hard to relize who your friends are.. but once you do it's alomost a relief ;).. tell all the users to kick rocks you don't need people who are one sided in yourlife! ;)
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I agree it should be give and take in a friendship. However, if you do the favors for them out of the goodness of your heart and the wanting to give because it makes you happy, then you are the winner. They are the ones that are losing out on that feeling of joy. Don't turn off that happy feeling but just maybe start giving to others instead of them.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 10:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Friendship is give and take. I am very particular about who I have as friends because I get taken advantage of a lot. I had a friend once who lived in another state and needed a ride to Indiana to pick up here pick up truck from her son because her car engine blew up. I drove to Kentucky then took her to Indiana. Paid for all the gas myself because she was my friend when I got married a few months back she couldn't even pick up the phone and tell me she couldn't make it. I haven't call her either. I feel the least she could have done was call and tell me congratulations. If someone is my friend I expect them to put in the same amount of effort that I do.
    miralerk

Answer by miralerk at 3:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2010