Another of my "technological moron" questions...gaming systems

Okay, so I haven't played video games since I was a kid and we had the Nintendo 64 with Super Mario Brothers, Tetris, Contra, etc. Oh, and Atari with Centipede, Donkey Kong...well you get the picture. I'm old, lol. My daughters are 7 and 9 years old, and I'd like to get them a gaming system for Christmas. What would you recommend that would have appropriate games and fun for girls this age? I'm completely clueless. By the way, cost is not a factor, so just tell me what you think is best and why.
Thanks so much!

vicesix

Asked by vicesix at 9:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Entertainment

• The top 2 choice for young kids are the Wii and a DS.  The Wii is a blast.  We got one for the whole family for Christmas last year and even my youngest (then 3 1/2) figured out the bowling and had a ton of fun with it.  They also have 2 DSs (one DS Lite that my oldest got at 8 and a DSi that my son got last month when he turned 9 and my dad is sending another DSi for my middle dd who turns 8 today).  All 4 of the kids love to play the DS and there are a ton of games for all ages and abilities.  Even my 4yo has games for it (up until last month they all shared the one DS).  She loves to play her Dora game.

Also a plus for the DS...the games are cheaper and you can get the older games from last "season" and the kids really don't care and they are like $10.  Plus for the Wii is it gets kids up and moving while they play.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Wii. There are a lot of family orientated games.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:50 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Honestly, I would say skip the at home console and go straight for Nintendo DS's for both. They are really interactive (as far as usage goes) and there are tons of games both educational and not.
    However, if you aren't comfortable with the portable idea and money is not an option, I would suggest the PS3 with the motion tracker add on package. Its like the Wii in that it makes you move, but the PS3 version has much better graphics and motion sensors. Plus there are so many fun games that will make your kids move around a lot. However, young children are known to accidently throw the hand held remoted when playing so that might be a hazard, lol.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I would say Wii as well mostly because theres alot of games for the younger audience, and there are plenty of games that the whole family can enjoy playing together. Not to mention its gets them physically involved in the games as well as mentally. GL deciding! :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 9:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• if you want kiddie games, get a wii.
    If you want a BADASS system, that can do a LOT (Wii doesn't have a browswer and it can't play DVD's) get a 360 with Kinex. NO controller at all. Also, it will stream media from your PC, which is a feature I LOVE>
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Wii, hands down!! Very fun for everyone of all ages.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I prefer the Playstation systems, but for more kid friendly and active games, I would go with the Wii.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Wii tends to skew most of their games toward a younger audience. The controls are not that hard to understand either.

Wii has an internet channel now and there is some limited internet browsing, as well as being able to access your Netflix account and stream video directly to your TV. (Provided you have the Wii connected to the internet.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Thanks so much for all the great information, ladies! Sounds like the Wii is probably the way to go for the kids....and maybe hubby would enjoy some of the other systems you guys mentioned. Thanks again!
    vicesix

Comment by vicesix (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2010