At what age did you let your DS use the men's room, instead of going to the ladies room with you?

Hi DS is 5 and we have to visit every bathroom, in every place we go! He recently has thrown fits about coming into the ladies room with me, but I don't feel comfortable allowing him to go into the mens room.. I saw another question on here about it, and I do kind of wonder when do you start to let them go in the mens room instead of with you?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 9:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine is 5 and I will let him use the men's room if it is one for only one person. I am just not comfortable yet with him being in one with multiple stalls. I have no idea when I will let him go by himself all the time though.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think my son went for the first time when he was 7. I made him open the door and see if anyone was in there (there wasn't), and I stood outside the door and waited. Had he been in longer than I thought he should have, I definitely would have gone in!

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• LOL..he was like 6 or 7, but, definitely stopped making him come with me by 8 or 9. There was no man in our lives, so, I porobably waited a bit too long.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I think he was about 6.  We'd let him go when we were in uncrowded places we visited often (local resturaunts mostly).  He's 9 now and has been using the mens room on his own eveywhere for awhile now.  He even walks across wherever we are to use it.  So do my girls (10 and 8) and they usually take the 4yo with them.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• ummm. 7 is WAY to old to be in the ladies room! My son has gone on his own in the mens room sice 5! I mean there is no reason that a child cant go alone if you are outside the door! I actually am HIGHLY ffended when a mom brings a 6 yr old or older male in the restroom! Its rude, and unnessacary!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 8, 2010