Are you going to be able to buy christmas this year? Do you ever get depressed when xmas rolls around because you don't have the money for it?

I know my kids and I know what they want and I don't have the money for what they want.. my 13 yr old ds wants a PS3 my 14 yr old dd wants a laptop my 8 yr old son wants a wii with games...Do you ever say no you can't have that this year you need to pick something else cuz Santa's broke??

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Holidays

• Yeah, that's a lot to ask for. I've been buying stuff slowly since August.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I suppose I am the parent of "no." I have been all along so the things my boys ask for are reasonable...sometimes Santa comes through with a big surprise..one year it was a Wii for them to share.

I grew poor. It was a real struggle for my Mom to raise us. She always amazed us with gifts though. When I got old enough to notice I asked her how she did it. She said Christmas comes on the same day every year, so do your birthdays. A years notice should be plenty of time for anyone. I took her advice to heart. I do my shopping all year..if I am not shopping I am putting back a few dollars here and there.

Don't be afraid to leave some of your kids wishes unfulfilled. They will not learn true appreciation if you will do and they will grow up feeling they are entitled to have their wants fulfilled.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• yes of course you have to tell them no. if you didn't it would be the same next yr where they would want the same expensive toys. i would ask them if there is one group gift that they could all live with. like one yr it was a ps2 for both my boys but that was many yrs ago. is there something that they all enjoy doing together?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Have you considered a second job or buying used stuff. I would think you could get most of that used.
    They don't really NEED any of that stuff so don't feel too bad. A couple years ago, we had a very modest christmas. The kids got used gameboy advances and used games. That was about it. It was depressing in a way but good for the kids. The most precious gift you can give them is love then to learn to live within their means.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• There is no way a kid needs their own laptop or any of those expenisve things that they are asking for. We didn't spend nearly that much atChristmas and not even for graduation or college graduation or birthdays....get my drift? Kids should not expect that and you should not give in.Chistmas is more than giving horrendoulsy expensive gifts. Spend about $30.00 bucks on each kid. That's how it is done in our family.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Oh yes I feel bad that I can't buy my son all that he wanted but now I have another little one who is going to be asking me for things next christmas and I just hope when that time comes I can get them both what they want but I will teach them as they grow older that Christmas isn't just about gifts its about love and family and the birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ. They will understand as I did as a chld its not what all you get but who and how you spend your Christmas with.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• We are able to afford gifts this year, but we plan and budget all year long. I don't like buying from lists, especially for my own family because I should know what they like or want. If you can't swing the spendy stuff, make a budget for each child, and buy a few things that you think that they will like, and give them the rest of the money in a Christmas card in their stocking. Kids always like having their own money to spend on things.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 10:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• those are BIG TICKET items!
    wow, that would be hard on almost any budget

yes, i have been broke around Christmas, i try to find joy in the wrapping
    step daughter 10, loves the huge bows, i know this , so i save the prettiest ones for her
    break up the gifts so more to open
    step son got a present wrapped up, but then openned to another box, then another one, he had fun unwrapping all the boxes to get to small present, he was 13 last year for this one

so they did not get the big things they wanted but made present time fun, also talked about kids that have nothing or next to nothing, they are old enough to know that others are less fornutate

also wrap up some favorite candy or snacks as gifts, seems to lessen their dissappointment when they are munching on beef jerky first thing in am, or chocolate or whatever they crave, full tummy are less bummed out
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I knew my family wouldn't have a Christmas if I waited till now to start shopping. I've been buying one to two things a week since August.
    MarianneTv

Answer by MarianneTv at 10:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• santa is not broke..but has to spend his money for kids who have nothing
    ?? maybe that would work- depends on age of kids
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2010