Am I strange for not wanting to keep these things or is he just a packrat?

My SO was grabbing our 7 month old infants Halloween costume (his first one) and was putting it away and I told him to keep it out for Goodwill or a garage sale. He looked aggrivated (he hates it when I get rid of things because he is a major packrat) and shook his head in disgust.

I told him we have picture of him in the costume... WHY keep it? Are we going to keep EVERYTHING the kids ever wore?

[To give you some insight into him... he kept the first bib his daughter from a previous relationship ever wore... WITH THE BABY FOOD STILL ON IT! They didn't wash it because it was MEMORIES! Eeew!]

Is he just a packrat or am I strange for thinking that pictures and personal memories don't go away just because you get rid of the actual item?

[FYI, there are SOME - but very few- items I do keep.... but they are stuff like the first cap in the hospital and arm bands from there and stuff.]

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I totally agree with you about not keeping things you haven't seen or used in a year. But...there was just something really special when I was cleaning my mom's house after she died and I found my baptismal gown, my first dance costume and other 1st's. You can't run your fingers over the satin on a photo.

I just think there is something important about certain 1st things.
    MarianneTv

Answer by MarianneTv at 11:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• LOL..I keep ALOT of the very first stuff. I have every paper brought home from kindergarten and my mom kept mine. My mom also kept ALOT of my first stuff too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:23 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I am not the best one to answer this question as I have kept a lot of my son's stuff. I don't have his first costume but I have the one from last year. I keep some of it thinking I will reuse it if I ever get preggo again.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I kept a lot of their "First" things. After that first year, I only keep things that I or they absolutely loved or wore a lot, if I don't keep it, I make sure to take a picture of them with whatever it is, or wearing it, if it's clothing. Does this make sense?
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I understand your point. I know it can be hard to get rid of certain things, but sometimes people become obsessive. My grandma has SOOOOO much stuff in her two car garage that it barely fits one car because of the junk. She won't get rid of anything! But it just sits out there...she doesn't use it, frame it, display it, look at it, show it off, anything...

Giving clothes to Goodwill is great! There are people with babies who would love to buy them little costumes and stuff but don't have the money! Maybe if you explain to your SO that it is just an object that could be destroyed in a fire, lost in a move, or eaten up by a rat....But a memory won't fade as long as the story is told, or the picture is shown (assuming you take good care of pictures lol), he might understand? Then again, my grandma just tells me to be quiet so, maybe not! Your best bet...toss it while he's not looking and he'll never know it's gone lol.
    Charmasina

Answer by Charmasina at 10:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Err I meant, I understand his point, but....*
    Charmasina

Answer by Charmasina at 10:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Packrat, I am learning you don't need to save things in order to remember somone. :) Your memories are always in your heart.

The best thing to do is start a scrap book for him, if you want too save the things-take a pic and make it the babies.

Watch hoarders because eventually saving everything will lead you there. I just got rid of my babies first stuff, and made it a point to give it to someone who can use it... :)

My girls know it, they watch hoarders with me!!! Good luck and be strong...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• he's a packrat...if you havent or wont use it within a year, GET RID OF IT! like others have said, if its that important, take a picture and put it in a nice scrapbook...maybe even keep a small part of the costume (if possible) in the scrapbook...but for gods sake, there is no reason to keep the whole costume? honestly, who has room to keep the first of everything all their kids have??? thats just not reasonable.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:53 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• you dont need to keep things packed away to keep it as a memory, if you keep everything, will you be able to dig through the huge pile of memories to show off that ONE thing? it'll eventually get packed in so deep, you wont get it out!! my MIL kept a trailer house just for her stuff...until i moved into a farm house close to her, then i needed to pack my things in it until i move into the house.

dont keep things you wont need for an event and such. keep things that will get pulled out once in a while.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Lol Charmasina... Ia lready do that to him and then IF he ever looks for it again (years down the road) I'm like, "Oh wow.. I haven't seen that in AGES.... Lord only knows where THAT ended up! Maybe it's in one of your junk boxes on the basement?" lol.... Yeah... He's bound to catch on one day... but what's he going to do? Take everything to work with him? lol
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2010