Should fear of ridicule override self-expression?

A couple other questions got me thinking....
When it comes to children. Should a parents fear of ridicule or even actual ridicule override a child's need for self-expression?

BubbaLuva

Asked by BubbaLuva at 10:25 AM on Nov. 8, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• No, it shouldn't. But it does.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• I got over it, even though I wanted to override. LOL I let him get blonde tips in second grade, wear red plaid skinny jeans in 6th grade and so on. I let him have freedom of self-expression as much as I can possibly stand. Although, I do understand the desire to stifle it a bit.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:31 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No, it shouldn't, but it ends up that way.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• no...I had a serious fear of my daughter being ridiculed for her choice in hair style and clothes...She had a Mohawk and wears old school punk clothing...now it doesn't bother me as much

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 6:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• No. My son is 8 and actually pretty conservative. He won't get his ear pierced or try a new hair style but that's him. When he's older if he wants to dye is hair 12 different colors and wear kilts, I'd be shocked but say more power to him. I think a lot of the people who have problems with self expression that causes no harm only wish they had the confidence to show who they really are.
    vannahs

Answer by vannahs at 7:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2010

• Parents should pick their battles and let their children express themselves...but within reason.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 9, 2010

• No it shouldnt. But it does happen unfortunatly. Everyone should be able to be themselves without having to worry about stuff like that or fitting in a certain "Group" at school.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 3:40 PM on Nov. 10, 2010